PDA

View Full Version : GM Workers

jy211
03-11-2010, 08:08 AM
I have a question about the 2010 Silverado crew cab's. Can anyone help me out?

I am thinking of ordering a crew cab silverado, but wanted to know, what has a softer ride, the standard crew cab truck or the Z71 model?

Also do you know when GM will be changing the body design? Again?

trapin
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi Jeff. If I had to guess the "standard" crew cab would probably be the softer ride since the Z71 suspension is set up for performance (off-roading).

You're other question I can't answer due to it being proprietary information. Sorry.

jy211
03-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Tony,

Thanks for the info. I was just hoping that if I buy the truck, the body style doesn't change next year! :)

Any incentives that can be thrown my way will be aprreciated...LOL

jknight16
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
In my experience, the "off road packages" tend to come with an upgraded shock package that in my opinion, ends up providing a better ride. I know for a fact on my super duty the FX4 off road package equipped truck (comes with Rancho shocks) rode much better than the non FX4 trucks (still a 4x4 though).

I think you owe it to yourself to go drive both.

68sixspeed
03-11-2010, 03:07 PM
If you are thinking diesel, you may want to wait for 2011, GM did a press release today about a new motor just shy of 400hp, 750lb-ft torque! -Dan

Kenova
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Also do you know when GM will be changing the body design? Again?
I seem to remember a press release a couple of weeks ago that stated GM management gave the go-ahead to release funds for an update to the full size, light duty truck line. If I remember correctly, the time frame was two to three years. One of the main goals mentioned was better aerodynamics to increase fuel mileage.
I'll be buying one myself within the next three years (I hope).

Ken

jy211
03-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Tony,

Is the black granite metallic actually black or is it more of a dark grey?

twosaturns
03-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Tony,

Thanks for the info. I was just hoping that if I buy the truck, the body style doesn't change next year! :)

Any incentives that can be thrown my way will be aprreciated...LOL
not always a bad way to go; the 'new' model isn't always better. sure, the 'new' one looks cool and all, but there aren't any incentives on a new style, and the older one might.
I'm a big proponent of buying 'last year's model'. we got the last 5 speed '09 Mazda5 and I'm glad we did; the '10 has things I didn't want, and lost things the '09 has.

CarlC
03-12-2010, 08:10 AM
The current model has a much better ride, IMO, than the previous version. I have both, my wife driving the older version. It's handling is more like a bucket of water. Not bad, but too soft. My '09 is much better, but the stock small tire/wheel combination looks a little weird vs. the wheelwell opening size.

There are seven '09 - '10 models in our fleet. All have been good. The 4.8l is too small. The 5.3l is perfect for a 1500 series.

The body style has not been out that long. 2008? If so, it will be around for 2-3 years at least. It takes four years from concept to production. Our current automotive related projects are 2014-2016.

trapin
03-12-2010, 08:16 AM
I personally like the design of my 2002 Silverado over the looks of the new one.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again....the 5.3 liter engine in my truck is by far THEEE GREATEST engine I have EVER had in any truck I've owned. 162,000 miles and it still runs like it just drove off the showroom floor.

jy211
03-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Tony,

Can you confirm the color question I posted up before?

indyjps
03-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I left GM in Oct '06 but have purchased several new trucks. I have a 2006 4x4 ext cab now that I dont think rode as well as the Z71 I had. I ended up replacing the shocks at 33K totally shot, now with a stiffer shock and softer springs the ride isnt that great. truck also had tire/ brake/ front end / leaking problems. out of the 3 new trucks I bought this one is crappy, the other 2 were great, who knows.

I'd recommend the Z71. buy the truck you like, trick it out, unless youre planning on trading in often it doesnt matter too much on the front end they hold value as can be expected.

If there are model changes I would expect sheetmetal mostly, I dont have any "inside" info on it. I did work for truck stamping plants when the new model came out, I got a tremendous savings on the '06 as GM was expecting the new body style to come thru and save the company as new trucks had in the past, it just happened to come along a few months before gas went to $4.

CarlC
03-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I agree Tony. The 5.3 is superb.

trapin
03-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Jeff....I am not in that part of the business so I have no clue on the color. Sorry.

I will check to see if there are some incentives I might be able to pass on to you. I think that "friends & family" thing might still be going on but I'll have to investigate. I will let you know on Monday.

moreHP
03-14-2010, 08:26 AM
I personally like the design of my 2002 Silverado over the looks of the new one.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again....the 5.3 liter engine in my truck is by far THEEE GREATEST engine I have EVER had in any truck I've owned. 162,000 miles and it still runs like it just drove off the showroom floor.

I agree completely! I really dont like the looks of any of the new trucks. The GMC version has a better grill in my opinion, but I think I will just keep driving my old silverado for now!