PDA

View Full Version : front/rear track widt?

69lsxamx
03-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I have a 1969 amc amx im installing a 03 cobra irs in which has a track width of 60.3''. I'm going to order the corvette C6 suspension subframe from art morrison. I can either go with a 57'' or a 60.5'' track width. What are ya'lls thoughts which one would be best.

silver69camaro
03-11-2010, 06:00 AM
First and formost, your tire bulge width and wheel availability will dictate which track width is necessary. In general, wider is better.

Bryce
03-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Matt,

Out of curiosity; does changing the track width affect the rest of the geometry of the suspension? I would think that the roll center and obviously steering geometry. How would you guys accomodate this? Shorter rack? Repostioned control arms?

John Wright
03-11-2010, 07:23 AM
I was thinking that the OP's question was about the differences in front and rear track width...57 would make the front 3.2 narrower and the 60.5 would make the front .2 wider than the rear of 60.3.

69lsxamx
03-11-2010, 07:44 AM
the width of the fenders outside to outside is 70'' so I would think that is plenty of room for tires. I am a little concered about clearance at the bottom of fenders while turning though.

art morrison uses a narrow rack for the narrow track width they have all the geometry figured out.

I was mostly curious as to which would be best for handing. I would think that the 60.5 would be. Would there be any negative's with going with the 57'' front track width?

ATOMonkey
03-11-2010, 08:41 AM
A wider track will limit tire size more than a narrow track.

Say you can only fit an 8" wide tire in the fenders with a 60" track. You could fit a 10" tire in the fenders with a 58" track, and so on and so forth.

Unless you use a really goofy offset that will put additional strain on your bearings, a more narrow track typically allows you to run a wider tire.

However, it's easier to set the instant center of a car with a wider track since it allows for shorter spindles and A-arm mounting points. Most cars compromise on instant center placement based on wheel clearance, and other space restraints.

So, it's a trade off.

Unless you're doing a serious pro/con analysis, I would just go with what is easiest to install and fits best.

silver69camaro
03-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Matt,

Out of curiosity; does changing the track width affect the rest of the geometry of the suspension? I would think that the roll center and obviously steering geometry. How would you guys accomodate this? Shorter rack? Repostioned control arms?

Yes, the rack is narrower and the UCA/LCA pickup points are revised.

Bryce
03-12-2010, 12:42 PM
thanks matt