PDA

View Full Version : f vs a suspension

todd8541
04-25-2005, 04:41 AM
How close is the Suspension in the 1st gen f-bodies to the 64-67 a-bodies. Anyone ever done a comparison on the suspension points and travel characteristics of the two? It would be interesting to see how they compare.

Tod

dennis68
04-25-2005, 04:57 AM
Big differences. About the only thing that is the same is the overall poor design. Camber curves are somewhat the same however the process to correct them is different. The UCA's totally different and the F body is rear steer vs the A body bodies front steer. I'm sure the F crowd will chime in with more....(oh the F body is uglier) :rotfl:

Mean 69
04-25-2005, 07:20 AM
Now Dennis, everyone knows you have F-Body envy....

If you do some research, you will find that there are some neat, relatively simple tricks that can be done to either setup to make pretty big improvements. They are mostly focused on changing the camber issues, but if you wat to step into the mor serious fixes for the setups overall, things get a lot more complex. (and expensive).

M

todd8541
04-26-2005, 04:56 AM
What I would really like is try to fix as many of the problems as possible using the stock components. Let me give some more details and maybe that will help you guys help me haha.

I was reading the posts on here the other day regarding redrilling the UCA mounting points or cutting moving the mount.

My goal is to try and keep the front suspension stock appearing and create a better handling car. I am not looking to pull any serious g's but would like a front end with better working characteristics.

So any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

One of the questions I am really asking is this. What can be done without buying new components. Or how much of an improvement can be made. I love fabricating and the fabrication aspect appeals to me more than purchasing components.

It would be alot of fun (IMO) if we could kick around some ideas on how to correct some of the issues.

Todd

MuscleRodz
04-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Each one takes a different approach. Can't help much unless we know what car you are working on.

Mike

wally8
04-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Which one do you have?

If I were going to stick to something as stock as possible for an A body I would probably just add tall upper and lower BJ's and then think about relocating the inner UCA mount. I'm not sure how much, but mostly it would be lower and maybe a little further in. I'd have to run some numbers to be sure, though. Then a bumpsteer kit to correct it as best I could.

Wally

todd8541
04-26-2005, 12:01 PM
The car is a 66 chevelle.

Mean 69
04-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Once you find peace in the fact that you "really" want a good handling car, versus a "stock" appearing car, well, life will get much better for you. Warning, it is a slippery slope.

Mark

todd8541
04-27-2005, 09:18 AM
It's too late for that. I am already struggling to maintain the direction I want for driving. Has anyone created a change for the chevelle like they have for the camaro?

Todd