PDA

View Full Version : Speed by Spectra Highway 341 Challenge

justimagine
03-05-2010, 07:53 AM
THE 1st ANNUAL SPEED BY SPECTRE 341 CHALLENGE

Spectre Performance announces invitation-only hill climb road race challenge where the fastest street cars on earth will race up infamous Nevada Highway 341

When: June 25-26, 2010
Where: Nevada Highway 341, South of Virginia City, NV
More Info: www.Spectre341Challenge.com (http://www.spectre341challenge.com/)
Questions: [email protected]

Ontario, Calif. (March 5, 2010) - Spectre Performance is proud to announce the return of road racing competition to one of the most infamous and challenging mountain roads in America - Nevada Highway 341 - for The 1st annual Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge. The race, scheduled for June 25-26, 2010, will pit the world's fastest street cars against the clock in a full-throttle blast up a mountain road, which will be closed to the public for the event. The exclusive invitation-only challenge will include Pro-Touring Street Machines, European Exotics, and Highly-Tuned Imports competing for a chance to be crowned King of the Hill.

The Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge is a rare opportunity to drive flat-out on some of the fastest and most aggressive stretches of highway in the country, without the worry of oncoming traffic or law enforcement. The course is 5.2 miles long with 22+ turns, a 1,216-foot rise in elevation, steep drop offs and no guardrails! Vehicles must be street-legal and registered; no purpose-built kit or racecars will be allowed. Tires must be DOT legal with at least 3/32" tread depth and a minimum 100 tread wear rating. Qualifying is scheduled for Friday, June 25th. Racing is set for Saturday the 26th.

"We are always looking for ways to go faster, to prove our parts at maximum velocity," says Spectre Performance founder Amir Rosenbaum. "We autocross and road race our muscle cars and set a 330mph Land Speed Record at Bonneville last year; but to this day one of the most challenging and exhilarating events I've ever participated in was the Virginia City Hill Climb. The Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge will bring that excitement back, but with the addition of muscle, exotic and import cars competing against each other it will be an incredible weekend. We are also very lucky to have FM3 Performance Marketing onboard to ensure everything runs smoothly."

The original Virginia City Hill Climb was founded in 1972 and ran through 2002. Rosenbaum holds the all time record for the event, running the course in three minutes, ten seconds in a modified Ferrari F40. The Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge will also include a Media Shootout, pitting magazine editors against bloggers and forum members in a project car challenge. Invites will be issued soon and more information will be posted on the website in the coming weeks.

Celebrating its 26th anniversary, Spectre Performance designs, manufactures and sells high performance hpR™ air filters, ProFab™ cold air intakes and automotive accessories engineered and tested in the most extreme conditions on earth for maximum performance, durability and style. Look for Spectre products at all major automotive parts stores and performance part retailers. To learn more about The Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge or to find a dealer near you, visit us online at www.SpectrePerformance.com (http://www.spectreperformance.com/) or: Spectre Performance, 1720 S. Carlos Ave. Ontario, CA 91761 or call (909) 673-9800.

justimagine
03-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Registration is now open at www.spectre341challenge.com. To be considered for the invite, please submit your registration electronically to [email protected].

We will evaluate all the registrations and extend invites to those we feel have the skills, knowledge, patience and vehicle quality to keep the event fun and safe!

We will run on both Friday and Saturday - Friday runs will start with three paced runs behind the world record holder to show everybody the racing line and things to look out for.

This event is new and unique to the pro-touring community and will provide a completely different kind of challenge and adrenaline rush!!

Email [email protected] with any questions. Looking forward to seeing some of our good friends and pro-touring family on the hill to show the exotic and import guys that muscle cars can do this too!!

justimagine
03-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Hey team, I'm really underwhelmed by the total lack of response to this event from our pro-touring crowd (Finch excepted!) so I started looking into this and maybe it's my fault in that I maybe didn't communicate clearly.

Let me start with the registration - I mentioned "invite only", well...YOU'RE ALL INVITED! We just want to make sure that everyone is of the proper mindset as this event is a little different than the standard track day/autocross.

Next, the classes - everybody has a chance to win because the entrants will be placed in appropriate classes so we don't have a 70 Fairlane or 72 Charger competing against a twin turbo Lambo or something like that!!

On to the location - Virginia City is in NEVADA (Reno area) not Virginia (go figure...) so it's an ideal place for anyone, but especially you guys west of the Rockies and from the NorCal area. Check out the VC website - http://www.virginiacity-nv.org/ This is a great venue to bring the family as there are literally hundreds of things to do that are not car related.

What's in it for you? Here's a top 12 list (we use 12 because the first two really don't count!)

12. Fame
11. Fortune
10. Valuable prizes compliments of our sponsors
9. You can whoop it up on a Porsche
8. You can eat dinner at the same place as "Little Joe" Cartwright
7. Eating, drinking, gambling and driving fast are all encouraged (not at the same time of course!)
6. Your chance to join the 341 club... http://www.spectre341challenge.com/about/341-club/
5. Prove that pro-touring is the real deal
4. No speed limit on a public highway
3. Hang out at one of the Top 12 Distinctive Destinations in the US (awarded by The National Trust for Historic Preservation in 2009)
2. The only public highway where you're encouraged to cross the centerline
1. 3 days of high speed, adrenaline fueled fun.

OK, if you still have questions, please email them to me at [email protected]. Otherwise, sign up so we can get your name on the list and added to the inaugural 50 participants. Don't let the imports and exotics (we call them the "gold chain" crowd) take charge! Stand up and show them that pro-touring is the real deal and a 3400 pound muscle car can carve a corner.

chevyhector
03-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey Jimi,

I actually planed on registering for this event. My Camaro is currently at Spectre for some R&D, so if I get my Camaro back with the new parts, I will attend. Dave at Spectre has been taking care of the R&D and assured me that I should have a pro-touring set up soon after they have the prototypes done. What is the deadline for the registration? Plus, I couldn’t find the link for the registration cost, where should I look?

Thank you
Hec

justimagine
03-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Wow, all this planning, scheming, conniving and collaboration and we actually forgot to put the entry fee anywhere!! Good catch - the entry fee is $341 for the entire weekend and includes dinner on both Friday night and Saturday night. Are you catching onto our 341 theme?

We'll get this fixed right way!

chevyhector
03-18-2010, 03:26 PM
"Are you catching onto our 341 theme?" What do you mean by this ? BTW, will you have a local hotel giving special rates for the participants?

Gitter Dun
03-22-2010, 07:57 AM
I am interested and am wondering if we are offered the opportunity to familurise ourselves with the course legally.

justimagine
03-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Absolutely, highway 341 is a public highway and available for navigation at any time. We will all be in the Virginia City area on Wednesday and Thursday before the event, you are welcomed to come a day early and drive the course as many times as you like. We will be making some paced runs on Friday morning as well. Please feel free to reach out with any other questions you might have.

justimagine
03-22-2010, 01:50 PM
"Are you catching onto our 341 theme?" What do you mean by this ? BTW, will you have a local hotel giving special rates for the participants?

We're running on Highway 341, the entry fee is $341 and the club is the 3:41 club.
The Silver Land Inn & Suites in Virginia City is the host hotel and offering special discount rates. The group code is CGFM3.

justimagine
03-26-2010, 04:35 AM
Ok guys, here's a video of the run to give you a flavor of what it's like.
We've got commitments from Lingenfelter, Saleen, Stillen, Petty and Fesler as well as a couple Porsche's and a wicked Syclone truck. Shipka's on board with the OPTIMA One Lap Camaro - sign up and show these guys that pro-touring is for real!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ybahw79Muw

-The Stig-
03-28-2010, 12:47 AM
... I'm suddenly interested in this...

Wonder if the G8 would be competitive enough... I guess we'll see at RTTC in El Toro next weekend. :)

JEFFTATE
03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
This looks like an awesome event.
There's nothing like an open road event !!

Gitter Dun
03-30-2010, 06:14 PM
This looks like an awesome event.
There's nothing like an open road event !!

Definitely tempting the hell out of me, especially since its only 2 hours away.

Ron.in.SoCal
04-01-2010, 09:28 AM
That f40 record run looked pretty fast....I wonder how the competition's improved in 8 years?

garner67
04-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a great event, just like the Virginia City Hill Climb put on by the Northern California Ferrari Club in September.

Here's a couple more videos for y'all

Shelby GT350
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Bvee2ylgo

Griggs GR40 Mustang (drives pretty damn smooth, hardly any steering wheel movement)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzpDOFOvdek

TCI Engineering
04-10-2010, 07:30 AM
I just now saw this, I am also surprised there isn't more activity in this thread/section about this. I forwarded a link to this thread over to the decision makers so hopefully we'll be able to take the Camaro and the Mustang.

-J

Rod
04-10-2010, 10:12 AM
sounds like fun I will hurry and get the shop car back together this week, and see about attending :twothumbs

Gitter Dun
04-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Anybody else have problems registering through the link provided?

sevillaz28
06-06-2010, 04:02 PM
What is the latest i can register??? I'm trying to finish my Camaro to run in this event. I grew up in the Virginia City Foot hills and 341 is a fun road.

justimagine
06-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Registration is open until June 24th, the sooner the better though as we like to have as much paperwork as possible in to speed up the registration check-in process on Friday.

Gitter Dun
06-10-2010, 07:10 PM
I was sweating it for awhile but I just got June 25th off of work, LOL.

Now just need NYES to pull through with my motor.

DynoDon
06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
In the mid 80's when I was racing Pro Rally, the Carson City event was a major event for us. We were able to race the Virginia City Hillclimb as part of that event and let me tell you, it is not for the timid. One of the greatest things you can do with your car. Wish my car was ready cuz I'd be there in a heart beat!

Gitter Dun
06-10-2010, 08:45 PM
In the mid 80's when I was racing Pro Rally, the Carson City event was a major event for us. We were able to race the Virginia City Hillclimb as part of that event and let me tell you, it is not for the timid. One of the greatest things you can do with your car. Wish my car was ready cuz I'd be there in a heart beat!

Dam, that sounds cool. I will be extremely disappointed if my engine doesn't get back in time.

sevillaz28
06-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Dam, that sounds cool. I will be extremely disappointed if my engine doesn't get back in time.

I will give you a hand getting it back together. Just about done with the satin on the 67 now I need to put my car back together and take it out for a spin. Rush, Rush, Rush.

Gitter Dun
06-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I will give you a hand getting it back together. Just about done with the satin on the 67 now I need to put my car back together and take it out for a spin. Rush, Rush, Rush.

Thanks, And I hear ya about rush, rush, rush. Seems I cant enjoy the work with the friken deadlines.

Pick up tires yet?

Gitter Dun
06-12-2010, 02:27 PM
My motor wont be in Indiana until the 15th. Thats 7 days. Dont know why its taking so long to get there. It only took 3 days to get to me form Indiana.

It's going to suck to have to put motor in after work but I think I am going to make it to the 341.

PhillipM
06-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Man how did I miss this? May be a little late for us to put something together now :(

justimagine
06-15-2010, 07:46 AM
It's not too late - that's what rental cars are for!! Seriously, registration is still open and will be up til race time on Friday morning.

PhillipM
06-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Yeah I hear ya. For us it isn't having a car, it is taking the time off work. I need to plan my vacations in advance so for this to miss a Thursday, Friday now is a little last minute. And for an event like this I don't want to be rushed. Hopefully we can make it happen next time.

-Phillip

Gitter Dun
06-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Picked up motor from Shipping terminal today. I'll be working on getting car ready every night after work. At this point looks like I'm gonna make it to Virginia City, crossing my fingers.

justimagine
06-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Good luck GC, I want to see you there!

Gitter Dun
06-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Good luck GC, I want to see you there!

Thanks, I just got somebody to cover my work on Thursday, so that gives me an extra day off. Things are shaping up for the better as far as getting my car back together in time.

sevillaz28
06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks, I just got somebody to cover my work on Thursday, so that gives me an extra day off. Things are shaping up for the better as far as getting my car back together in time.

You lucky dog. I can't go. Even after all the work I did to my car I have meetings I can't get out of. I might ride up Sat mid morning.

Gitter Dun
06-23-2010, 04:19 PM
You lucky dog. I can't go. Even after all the work I did to my car I have meetings I can't get out of. I might ride up Sat mid morning.

Bummer your not gonna make it. Should try and get up early though, you wouldn't want to miss me spankin' some European Iron, LOL.
:spank2:

Gitter Dun
06-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Motor and tranny are in and I'm taking a break now. Sill need to install crossmember, drive shaft, hook up oil lines, install radiator, alternator, power steering pump, shifter, fill her with oil and water, remove distributor, prime engine, install distributor, fire her up, and set timing.

If all is good with car, I gotta pack and google Virginia City.:fingersx:

OK, stomach's gurgalin', time for lunch.

jaxnc
06-27-2010, 05:36 AM
Just heard VR Alexander died yesterday at the VCHC...any one got any details?

Gitter Dun
06-27-2010, 06:20 AM
It was at the last run of the day on Saturday, dont know what turn yet.

jaxnc
06-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Anything you could find out would be appreciated...he was sister's fiance and I'm in North Carolina and can't find anything yet...thanks!

Gitter Dun
06-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Anything you could find out would be appreciated...he was sister's fiance and I'm in North Carolina and can't find anything yet...thanks!

I cant begin to express how sorry I am for your sisters and your loss. My prayers will go out to you.

Probably best to talk to Jimi day.

DynoDon
06-27-2010, 04:56 PM
here is the official release from Spectre 341 Challenge:

"After two days of fun and excitement, the 341 Challenge suffered a
tragedy when VRAlexander was killed in an accident when he went off course. Out of respect for his grieving family please refrain from
participating in hearsay and speculation. This is a very sad turn of
events, but he was pursuing his dream. Please send your thoughts and prayers to his family during this trying time."