PDA

View Full Version : Collapsable column parts?

Wesley J
03-05-2010, 05:53 AM
Hey Guys,

I wasnt quite sure where to put this so here it is.

I'm moding my '67 Mustang steering column. I have the spear of death version that is a solid shaft connected directly to the steering box. Well, at least it was before it saw the sawzall... Anyway, I'm keeping the column and modifying it to work with my rack. While I'm at it I'm wonder if you can recommend a column from the scrapyard that I can pilfer the collapsable section from. Doesnt have to fit perfect, I have a lathe to build what ever adapters I need.

I'm guessing I can grab just about any modern column but thought I'd ask in case there was one in particular that would be recommended.

Cheers,

Wes

monteboy84
03-05-2010, 07:15 AM
S-10's have a collapsible column you should be able to snag on the cheap.

Wesley J
03-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks. I'm going to stop by the pick n pull tomorrow and have a look at one.

Wes

Twentyover
03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Buddy built a co;;asible column. Used a couple big washrs and wrapped w/ expanded metal mesh. Shaft was welded to the washers on each end. The expanded metal will collapse when the box moves

monteboy84
03-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Buddy built a co;;asible column. Used a couple big washrs and wrapped w/ expanded metal mesh. Shaft was welded to the washers on each end. The expanded metal will collapse when the box moves

Why not just use a telescoping column like factory? It just seems to me that the mesh solution would take up extra space and not be as safe as a telescoping unit.

68sixspeed
03-09-2010, 01:36 PM
you may want to check lefthander or stock car products, they sell a collapsible section for safety. It's a double-D shaft that can slide on impact or if the frame is crushed. Bourgeson may even have something too.

Twentyover
03-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Why not just use a telescoping column like factory? It just seems to me that the mesh solution would take up extra space and not be as safe as a telescoping unit.

Because it cost him $2 in parts and 1/2 hour from start to finish?

To be honest, i think I may be loosing interest in Pro-Touring. It seem that you need to buy the right parts from the right suppliers tp be part of the crowd. While they may look trick, do i really NEED billet trunk hinges at a couple hundred a pop? How do they improve performance? Are they more functional then my stamped steel ones?

i'm not agains adding bling, but what I think i'm seeing more and more is Pro-Wallet.

monteboy84
03-10-2010, 02:14 PM

To be honest, i think I may be loosing interest in Pro-Touring. It seem that you need to buy the right parts from the right suppliers tp be part of the crowd. While they may look trick, do i really NEED billet trunk hinges at a couple hundred a pop? How do they improve performance? Are they more functional then my stamped steel ones?

i'm not agains adding bling, but what I think i'm seeing more and more is Pro-Wallet.

Easy buddy, I wasn't trying to give you crap or anything, was more curious than anything, and I don't think there's anything "blingy" about a steering column from an S-10 at maybe $10. I don't own and never will own billet hinges of any kind, so you'll get no argument from me on that one....

Twentyover
03-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Easy buddy, I wasn't trying to give you crap or anything, was more curious than anything, and I don't think there's anything "blingy" about a steering column from an S-10 at maybe $10. I don't own and never will own billet hinges of any kind, so you'll get no argument from me on that one....

Sorry- caught me at a bad time-

I guess i'm getting sensitive that this particular branch of the hobby is heading where street rods went 25 years ago. Used to be that people built stuff in the back shed. Then most people starrted buying stuff, and the hobby changed. Not neccessarily for the better.

The expanded metal column section had pretty good torsional strength but very little compressive strength, and was less than 2" in diameter IIRC. It went in his 510 GT4 (now GTL) race car.

In light of the OP's question, I felt that the expanded metal collapsable section was a viable alternative.

The WidowMaker
03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
no offense, but i wouldnt trust my safety to a home built mesh column (some may have the background to pull it off). i would run a collapsible column, AND a collapsible intermediate shaft if you can with your setup. most think that a collapsible intermediate shaft is enough, but when your chest strikes that solid column, youll be VERY sorry, if not dead.

ididit has started redesigning all of there columns to be collapsible and to meet the 1968 safety requirements. i would suggest either finding a factory collapsible column (still the best option with the most money into r&d), or calling ididit.

Jim Nilsen
03-11-2010, 07:35 AM

If you feel that you are not part of PT because you don't have the newest coolest parts then you are are envious of the wrong people here. There are parts you need to get to any level but safe parts or modifications done safely can cost a lot of money or a lot of work trying to find them cheap. both can be done form existing examples here.
I too wonder about the billet trunk hinges and why? But if you have all the $$$$ you need and want real cool they fit the bill, the $400 bill to be exact.

Follow the builds of the people here that your budget and skills can emulate and the cost will be what you more desire for the outcome and value of the car. Some here have built some very valuable cars for $30,000 and some have built some very expensive cars worth less than what they have in them.

This site is full of diversity yet it can get intimidating at times to those of us on a budget when we want want want those new parts.

I could spend $5,000 on tires and wheels or the same on brakes and doing both would be great and fulfill dreams and a great package system. Yet for that $$$ I can drive within my limitations and go to every event and have more fun driving than building. I just won't be on the top of the heap and I don't believe most of us can afford to get there.

Giving up on PT for your reasons would be just giving up because of intimidation brought on by scope creep. We have all had moments of that, even the ones with all of the money get caught up in it.

You add much to the site just as you are and your insights have helped more people stick with reality than you know.

monteboy84
03-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Sorry- caught me at a bad time-

No worries, it happens :smoke:

I'm not one with a big wallet, but I love both ends of the spectrum, from the guys here building some seriously sick cars from their home garage in Suburbia USA, to the $150k builds in a dedicated shop. I love both ends, because they both contribute to the hobby, the homebrew guys who expand the base of Pro-Touring, feeding us with innovative ways to do things right on a tight budget, and the high-end guys who amaze us all with some serious unobtainium, feeding the rest of us with trickle-down tech.

ETA: Sorry for the thread-jack.

Twentyover
03-11-2010, 05:34 PM
If you feel that you are not part of PT because you don't have the newest coolest parts then you are are envious of the wrong people here. There are parts you need to get to any level but safe parts or modifications done safely can cost a lot of money or a lot of work trying to find them cheap. both can be done form existing examples here.

I think you misunderstand. I have no desire to emulate anyone's build, because I built the car to suit ME, no one else. If others like it, fine, if not, equally fine.

The basis for my comment is I'm concerned when I see people favoring the store bought option and discounting a garage built solution. It happened in street roddong, and it appears to be happening more here. I read threads here where people ask what wheels to use, what color to paint, or can a stock sub possibly be as good as an aftermarket sub. Ths is the reason I fell I'm loosing touch with the biggest piece of Pro Touring. People aren't building the cars they want, they seem buying cars or parts that other people tell them to.

My perception is that I'm not changing, the ProTouring market is changing, and I'm thinking it's going the wrong direction.

And nobody needs $400 trunk hinges.

Also apologize for thread jack

funcars
03-11-2010, 06:49 PM
If you decide to buy a racing part another option is Woodward. It's worth taking a look just to see what they do for power steering parts and pieces like universal joints and splined shafts, etc.

Jim Nilsen
03-14-2010, 08:36 AM
I think you misunderstand. I have no desire to emulate anyone's build, because I built the car to suit ME, no one else. If others like it, fine, if not, equally fine.

The basis for my comment is I'm concerned when I see people favoring the store bought option and discounting a garage built solution. It happened in street roddong, and it appears to be happening more here. I read threads here where people ask what wheels to use, what color to paint, or can a stock sub possibly be as good as an aftermarket sub. Ths is the reason I fell I'm loosing touch with the biggest piece of Pro Touring. People aren't building the cars they want, they seem buying cars or parts that other people tell them to.

My perception is that I'm not changing, the ProTouring market is changing, and I'm thinking it's going the wrong direction.

And nobody needs $400 trunk hinges.

Also apologize for thread jack

Hi Greg, I understand you and feel the same as you, I was just making the statement for those who may be intimidated by the high end build set. There is room for all of us here and it seems some like to dream and talk about dreams as much as they work on the cars they build. Can't fault a guy for that. I wish I could afford Forgelines and R compound tires for an extra set of wheels but........

The worst part about trying to do all the work yourself is that a guy can have thousands in tools by the time the car is done,lol. It's a conumdrum of DIY for less.

I just hope he gets a good safe setup like he wants and gets it for what he can afford. If he does it himself he will be more proud but will it be safer?

Maybe we need to make a saftey priority list and the cost invloved for each one so others can see if they are really saving money vs their life for what it cost?

ROEINONDUBS
03-14-2010, 09:51 AM
so is mine collapsible i have a 68 camaro i think it is because i have not heard about it b4, how do i check? also i think pt is not changing for the worse i personally like some of the billet hinges that have came out, i mean if u think about it they look sik and if you want the hi end look you have to pay the hi end price. same for paint,body,wheels,interior and many other things. im a budget builder so i try to save on some things and splurge on others. for example my c5 breaks will be done under 600.00! peep it out https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60029

TPI Monte SS
03-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Hey Guys,

I wasnt quite sure where to put this so here it is.

I'm moding my '67 Mustang steering column. I have the spear of death version that is a solid shaft connected directly to the steering box. Well, at least it was before it saw the sawzall... Anyway, I'm keeping the column and modifying it to work with my rack. While I'm at it I'm wonder if you can recommend a column from the scrapyard that I can pilfer the collapsable section from. Doesnt have to fit perfect, I have a lathe to build what ever adapters I need.

I'm guessing I can grab just about any modern column but thought I'd ask in case there was one in particular that would be recommended.

Cheers,

Wes

Look at '93-'98 Grand Cherokees and Cherokees - they have a collapsible steering shaft with Borgeson-style U-joints on either end. The steering box end fits a standard Saginaw box and the other end just slips over the column. I installed one in my Monte, it works great!