PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Bumpers on Street Car

Mr Nick
03-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Is there any safety issues to be concerned about if I ran front and/or rear fiberglass bumpers on a street car?

What I'd like to know specifically, do the factory metal bumpers absorb impact and make an accident safer for the occupants? Or do they just attempt to prevent body damage in low speed accidents?

I always thought about running fiberglass bumpers to save weight, but I'm concerned about a reduction in safety.

Thanks,
Nick

Tom Welch
03-05-2010, 04:08 PM
if your car is old enough for chromed steel bumpers I would guess that little difference would be made in an accident.

MCMLXIX
03-05-2010, 05:56 PM
the factory bumbers are going to spread out the force of an impact...
modern cars have crumple zones and a styrofaom inner structure to absorb impacts ...

Jim Nilsen
03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
I had an idiot back up into me at a Wendy's drive thru years ago in the 67. They just bumped me and when I got out the pointy little thing actually won the battle and left a mark on the other car. If it had been a fiberglass bumper I would have been replacing a header panel,lower valance, upper lower grille moulding and possibly the center grille section and of coarse the fiberglass bumper.

Those little bumpers on a 73 RS do more than you think too.

Fiberglass bumpers are for the track and not the street and do a lot to protect you.

You decide but I know I vote for steel.

mikedc
03-08-2010, 06:38 PM
As for the protective nature of a stock bumper, IMHO that's kind of a tossup. They help spread out the hit compared to a fiberglass bumper, but on the other hand most of these old cars suffer from too little initial crumpling rather than too much of it.

There's no doubt that the stock bumpers make the car less fragile in the parking lot, but that wasn't what you were asking.

I would consider getting a set of (new repro) bumpers, acid dipping them to take the weight down, and then having them rechromed. That would lose weight, remain safe, and even still look stock. On a car with small bumpers it would not be worth the slight weight loss, but on a big GM midsize or fullsize from the 60s/70s it might add up to a decent amount. Weight loss is rarely cheap when you wanna do it cleanly.

Acid dipping a set of the bumper brackets might also be a good idea. They weigh a decent amount and they would not need to be replated afterwards.

-----------

thetoystore
03-09-2010, 10:11 AM
it is illegal in all states to not run some kind of metal bumper. i use to do alot of mini trucks and roll pans and i would have to weld in a bar behind it that bolted to the frame to avoid tickets. check your laws first.

Randy67
03-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Then how can you buy a new truck with no rear bumper? Trucks do have different requirements than cars, but I couldn't find anything online to confirm what the differences are. Most of the trucks I see without bumpers are commercial chassis. My Dakota has no rear bumper (roll pan), unless the hidden hitch counts but you can see it anyways.

Jim Nilsen
03-10-2010, 05:43 AM
it is illegal in all states to not run some kind of metal bumper. i use to do alot of mini trucks and roll pans and i would have to weld in a bar behind it that bolted to the frame to avoid tickets. check your laws first.

It is something that the weight vs losing your car to an impound because of one officer that really knows the law and hates hotrods can cause heartbreak and sorrow.

It's not worth it!

NOT A TA
03-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I've had street cars with fiberglass bumpers. They get busted up with the slightest impact or something like a jackass sitting on it when you're not watching. The ones I've had all ended up sun warped or cracked after a while. Last car I had them on was my 74 Camaro.

Ever see a car wrap a telephone pole or tree? Without a solid structural member between the front rails to absorb impact and pull the rails absorbing more energy the pole just smashes the radiator support and radiator into the front of the engine. The force shears off the motor mounts and the engine ends up in between the front seats. Not a good place. Now older and hopefully wiser I will not run a fiberglass bumper on the street anymore.

redfire69
03-10-2010, 01:55 PM
I wonder how all those guys in CA can get away w no front bumpers on their 68's....

Mr Nick
03-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like there are better & safer ways to save the weight.

Nick

Jim Nilsen
03-11-2010, 07:16 AM
I wonder how all those guys in CA can get away w no front bumpers on their 68's....

LUCKY comes to mind in more ways than just visual.

Bryce
03-11-2010, 07:27 AM
what about shelby mustangs with the valance and no bumper?

I am running a fiberglass valance instead of a bumper on my falcon. Also dakotas were available from the factory with a roll pan, no bumper and no trailer hitch.

redfire69
03-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Rear bumpers on pickup trucks were not required in many states...