PDA

View Full Version : Master cylinder question

twfurst
03-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Hello,

I am looking for some help regarding brakes. I am installing 12" rotors from a 1998 Z28 SS on my 1980 Malibu. I want to be sure that I install the adjustable proportioning valve on the correct line out of the MC. If I remember correctly, the line at the rear of the MC is the line that feeds the rear brakes. It would seem to be the logical choice, (which when dealing with GM sometimes is exactly opposite) and I need for someone to tell me either I'm right or that I'm wrong.

Thanks,

LSXfan
03-05-2010, 07:16 PM
rear line = front brakes

Apogee
03-06-2010, 10:10 AM
What master cylinder are you running as they're not all the same? If the G-body or F-body MC from the donor car, than LSXfan is correct. If something else, than post up what it is and I'm sure someone will let you know one way or the other.

Tobin
KORE3

twfurst
03-11-2010, 06:12 AM
The master cylinder is the original for the Malibu. I have attached thumbnail from AutoZone that shows the type that it is.

a67
03-11-2010, 02:01 PM
To tell the truth, your best bet is to follow the lines. From that you will be able to tell which outlet of the M/C goes to which set of brakes. It isn't that difficult to trace the lines out to see which one goes where.

And with putting an adjustable prop valve in, the combo needs to be removed. So that isn't an issue with line tracing either.

If I were to ask the same question you have about my car, any answer other then 'trace the lines' would be incorrect. The reason is that I swapped the front and rear lines at the M/C when I upgraded the brakes (I had my reasons).

Bob.