PDA

View Full Version : Whos running megasquirt?

injcted
03-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Im looking to upgrade from the 5.0 injection sysem to maybe the Megasquirt system. Anyone running it?

The Stickman
03-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Not yet but soon hopefully. I have everything except my intake work done and sensors.

gui67
03-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Same situation:
I have nearly everything.
I still have to finish the turbo piping and the wiring.
I hope having it running in May.

thisoldcamaro
03-03-2010, 10:51 AM
I've built a few Megasquirt systems (ver 1) on SBC's with good results. I'm currently soldering together a MS2 ecm for my 67 RS camaro. I would have had it completed by now if my job (the one that pays $) didnt keep interrupting.:) This one will use coil pack ignition (1st time doing this for me). Should be fun.

keith1365
03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
I have been running a Megasquirt Version 3.0 controlling fuel only for about 2 years on a SBC. I went with a wide band o2 and the thing is a breeze to tune. Much easier than changing jets. I just got the upgrade to add ignition control and IAC to it. I built it with with mostly salvage yard parts. Learning curve was not bad and I have 0 fuel injection experience. Have been using megalog viewer for tuning and it basically can tune itself. I have less than $750 in the entire set up including a stealth ram intake. Don't see ever going back to a carb.

BigBlockOlds
03-07-2010, 10:46 PM
I have an MS-II in a MS-1 v2.2 board that I'm currently trying to tune for my 455.
I like the system and its cost effectiveness but the DIY nature of it can be overwhelming at times trying to figure out where to start with your tuning and such.

Not to hijack the thread but,

keith1365, do you have any tips or suggestions on where to start?

I had the 455 running somewhat back in the fall but had to stop due to a coolant leak and have just now got back into it since the weather is warming up.
It was running rich back then and today I just started it up again and its still REALLY rich at idle. My wideband is showing A/F ratios in the 9.0-11.0 range at 900-1000rpm.
This is during the warmup enrichment cycle. I haven't had a chance to tune the engine once fully warmed.

Just curious if you have a "system" on which parameters you bounce back and forth changing to zero in on the optimum tune.

Thanks,

Johnny Blaze
03-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Thinking about one myself.

Andrew, I like the wooden engine block!

brrymnvette
03-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Thinking about trying to piece one of these together for my dad's 406 sbc. How cheap can these be put together for?

BigBlockOlds
03-14-2010, 05:38 PM
A friend of mine put mine together when he was doing his but I have maybe $300 in my Megasquirt and relay board.
Of course that doesn't include all of the other EFI bits like fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel rails, intake, etc.

keith1365
03-16-2010, 08:28 PM
I put my system together for about $800. This included $350 for the stealth ram intake. Sensors, injectors, fuel rails, throttle body are all used stuff out of the salvage yard. Fuel pump is off an old Porsche. I tried to keep with stuff I can buy anywhere for not much money if I am on the road. I modified my gas tank to have a return line and have not had any trouble with the pickup as long as I do not run less than 1/4 tank of gas. This is pretty easy because my gas gauge is off and when it reads almost e it still has 6 gallons in the tank. I have cornered it pretty hard and it has not run out of fuel yet.

As far as tuning, with a SBC it was pretty easy to get it running. I went to the forums and copied some of the tunes that others had come up with and then just tinkered from there. Most of the tunes I found were too lean but that is easy to change. I started with fuel only and will be working on controlling timing this spring. One step at a time. Only probably I really had was bad spikes causing resets. I finally ended up putting in a crank trigger to run the unit as my distributor or coil was too noisy. This was causing resets every 5 seconds or so. I probably went thru 2 tanks of gas tuning and it is not perfect. Mine idles rich also but I think my cam is causing that. It idles best at about 11:1 afr. Any leaner and it wants to surge. I am slowly leaning it out in some of the areas such as the cruising rpms to improve mileage not that it is that important. It really runs well and has sharper throttle response than with a carb but I was never that good at carb tuning. I am finding EFI is much easier because I can tell it what AFR I want and it does it No jet changes, power valves accelerator pumps. I use Megalogviewer and this makes tuning very easy. I just set up a datalog and go for drive. The datalog is then run thru Megalogviewer and it makes recommendations for the VE tables based on the AFR targets you put in. I am looking forward to upgrading from MS1 to MS2 since this has automatic afr adjustment feature just like the factory stuff and it will learn on its own. The hardest part is getting the base tune set up so it runs good enough to get out of the garage. Once it drives, it goes quicker. The only fear I have is breaking down on the road but I am probably going to build another controller and carry a spare. They are pretty cheap to build.

brrymnvette
03-17-2010, 04:38 AM
I'm debating on buying a TPI setup a guy has locally for $125. I'm thinking of giving it to my Dad for a gift and then building a MS for him. He want's EFI and thinks a TBI out of his suburban is good enough for a 425+ hp 406. What are your guys thoughts on running a TPI of a gen1 SBC with the LT1 intake w/dist hole. All through the megasquirt at least version2 or maybe 3

keith1365
03-17-2010, 08:12 PM
I have some doubts that a stock TPI set up will make 425 horse on a 406. I estimate my motor at 375hp on a 350 and the TPI 48mm throttle body is maxed out. It is pulling a slight vacuum at full throttle so it needs a larger throttle body. Another issue I have running the stock injectors for an TPI is they are running at about an 85% duty cycle at full throttle. This is too high and indicates it needs larger injectors. I originally tried to modify a TPI intake. Redrilled the bolt pattern, cut off the back of the intake to remove the egr valve boss and drilled a hole and made a spacer for the distributor, drilled and tapped for water lines just to find out when the intake was installed on the motor, the water ports in the cylinder head would not seal with the intake. The intake needed to be welded up to seal with the heads. By the time I got the intake welded up and then surfaced to correct the warping, I said the heck with it and bought a Holley Stealth Ram intake. The stock TPI port was also smaller than the ports on my Trick Flow heads. Just my experience. A stock throttle body and injectors will limit the horsepower quickly. Nice set up and mine runs really well for what it is but I will need to buy a larger throttle body and injectors to make any more power. A new throttle body and injectors will run at least $500 unless you find something used or bored out.

brrymnvette
03-18-2010, 04:34 AM
I have some doubts that a stock TPI set up will make 425 horse on a 406. I estimate my motor at 375hp on a 350 and the TPI 48mm throttle body is maxed out. It is pulling a slight vacuum at full throttle so it needs a larger throttle body. Another issue I have running the stock injectors for an TPI is they are running at about an 85% duty cycle at full throttle. This is too high and indicates it needs larger injectors. I originally tried to modify a TPI intake. Redrilled the bolt pattern, cut off the back of the intake to remove the egr valve boss and drilled a hole and made a spacer for the distributor, drilled and tapped for water lines just to find out when the intake was installed on the motor, the water ports in the cylinder head would not seal with the intake. The intake needed to be welded up to seal with the heads. By the time I got the intake welded up and then surfaced to correct the warping, I said the heck with it and bought a Holley Stealth Ram intake. The stock TPI port was also smaller than the ports on my Trick Flow heads. Just my experience. A stock throttle body and injectors will limit the horsepower quickly. Nice set up and mine runs really well for what it is but I will need to buy a larger throttle body and injectors to make any more power. A new throttle body and injectors will run at least $500 unless you find something used or bored out.

Oh yeah, TB and injectors would be upgraded no matter what. After that, I'll leave it up to him to upgrade as he wants. Thing is, if I don't buy him the stuff, he'll never do it b/c he's like a 3 year old with money.

MonzaRacer
03-31-2010, 09:54 PM
OK for one most TPI had 19lb hr or 24lb hr injectors, as for most uses I would recommend 30lb hr SVO injectors, E85 compliant and work well up to about 425 hp. Depends on how high you go with the pressure they can work on higher hp apps.

funcars
04-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Try a superram with injectors large enough to support your hp levels. Clears most hoods and still with good low end and mid range torque but raises rpm levels on larger cuin motors before it runs out of breath. EFI system can be TPI computer or Megasquirt.

Good luck