PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte autofair

blown9746
03-01-2010, 10:27 AM
This falls on the 2nd weekend that I will be living in Charlotte. Online it looks to be a great event. Has anyone gone in the past or going this time?

cheapthrillz
03-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Went last year for the Galaxie Anniversary and it was a pretty good turn out..... make sure to wear your walking shoes!

sniper
03-03-2010, 08:15 PM
The autofair gets old real fast. Rains every time and it's the same cars, over and over and over again. And every tom dock and hairy wants $30k for his rust bucket.

Other than that, good times.

03-04-2010, 03:35 AM
I go every Spring & Fall.....worth the trip - better on Friday.

vintageracer
03-04-2010, 05:32 AM
I expect this event to be better this year. Swap meet activity across the country is much better since October last year. More venders, better parts and more lookers.

A lot of sellers tell me that they are getting tired of the Ebay BS and are going back to swap meets. No Shipping problems, no Paypal and most important they get their money NOW! They may get a little less for the part overall at the swap meet but tell me it's worth the loss not to fool with Ebay. They all tell me that they still use Ebay for the really "good" stuff but are glad to be back out at swap meets. The same reports to me in California, Ohio, Florida and more concerning the winter swap meets. Also more garage sweepers who need the money are coming out with more good junque.

This information is from friends/seller in Texas, Florida, California, Ohio, Georgia and Tennessee. The AACA swap meet in Nashville was PACKED and sold out. The AACA Kyana swap meet in Louisville next week is sold out with a couple hundered new spaces also sold out. The November Moultrie Ga swap meet was packed with lot's of people and lots of parts/cars.

It's time to get back to "Junkin In Person" instead of on the internet!!!

cheapthrillz
03-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Three words: Chocolate Covered Bacon! Try it!

blown9746
03-04-2010, 07:46 AM
cool. i'll check it out. sniper I definitely understand the comment about $30k for rust buckets. Several yrs ago when I lived in MD I used to go to the Carlisle events.

2Bad4Ya
03-04-2010, 09:00 AM
I live down the road in winston salem, I have been to the spring & fall autofairs for the last 6 yrs, here is my take on it.

it usually does rain at least 1 of the 3 days.

There are some deals to be had, but most think that rust = gold.

Pace yourself it can be a lot of ground to cover.
If your not looking for rusty parts or a project car, then walk the track/pit row to see some cars, other than that the rest of the infield is a slew of rust and turkey legs!

If your looking for used parts then its possible you may find what your after. Do not waste your time on new parts as the prices are usually higher than online.Bring a wagon if your looking to buy parts as they do not allow you to drive your vehicle into pick up parts.

vintageracer
03-04-2010, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=2Bad4Ya;642270].
If your not looking for rusty parts or a project car, then walk the track/pit row to see some cars, other than that the rest of the infield is a slew of rust and turkey legs!

QUOTE]

That's why it's best to start shopping in the 2 fields OUTSIDE of the speedway if you are looking for parts and cars to a degree. Better chance of garage sweepers and others who are NOT professional swap meet sellers or car dealers.

2Bad4Ya
03-06-2010, 06:54 PM
"That's why it's best to start shopping in the 2 fields OUTSIDE of the speedway if you are looking for parts and cars to a degree. Better chance of garage sweepers and others who are NOT professional swap meet sellers or car dealers"

The last 2 autofairs they have not had any outside vendor setups, they have been using it for parking. I guess the # of visitors has been up and vendors down so they have been using it for parking.

rlpj68
03-09-2010, 10:25 PM
i have been to both spring and fall event and they are correct to say that after a few times it gets old, same cars, same parts, and same people. what one buys in the spring usually winds up for sale in the fall

redfire69
03-24-2010, 03:08 AM
Friday morning is the time to go for parts hunting. It usually rains about every other year. Bring a poncho!

formula
03-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Friday morning is the time to go for parts hunting. It usually rains about every other year. Bring a poncho!

Yes, everyone should bring their pontiacs out! Wait wha....oh.

I went with cheapthrillz last fall, it was fun overall but not a lot of p-t action, mostly stock/restomod stuff. Couple cool big vendors though, I know keisler was there with the kuda, still had the viper wheels on it then.

Tough to beat chocolate covered bacon and a tallboy for lunch, though!

matdean
03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I went to last spring and the fall. Both were packed, I enjoyed it but I dont make it out to many events. Bring your walking shoes! Spring is much larger and they did have people selling outside last spring, I must have walked 10 miles as I had no clue where anything was. I plan to be there with a few friends again this spring!

funbnme
04-02-2010, 06:48 PM
I'll be going, but I'm trying to find a pass so I can bring my car out on the field.

I was too late getting in touch with one group and they may not have a pass for me (I'm on the waiting list in case someone else cancels).

Anyone have a connection that can get me a pass?

I made a hotel reservation for Friday and want to hang out at the show all day Saturday.

matdean
04-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Looks like no rain this time around! I hope to be there around 10:15 or so on Sat and stay throughout the day.

cheapthrillz
04-09-2010, 04:55 AM
Looks like no rain this time around! I hope to be there around 10:15 or so on Sat and stay throughout the day.

I think that's what Wes and I are going to do this year. We will be there on Saturday.