PDA

View Full Version : Won't start when there's rain and cold!

TheRoaringEagle
04-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi, my 400 usually takes a bit to start up. The starter on it now looks stock but it's new. My brother replaced it. But for as long as I can remember, the Camaro never started up fast. I always thought it was normal. But lately my car won't start when it's cold and raining. What could be the problem?

My compression ratio is 12 to 1 and my wiring is old factory that's been torn up. But I'm really in a tight situation so if it happened that I needed a new starter that can turn over 12 to 1 pretty well or get a new wiring harness, I'd only be able to get one or the other. So which would be a good priority?

Thanks

paul67
04-24-2005, 02:03 AM
Wheres the battery fitted on the car if the batterys in the trunk you will get amp drop , also check the grounds, try starting with the lights on if it brings the lights down you might need a more powerful battery what cranking amps is it , what oil is in the engine as the oil being thick when cold can slow the engine on turn over when cold ,
paul67

TheRoaringEagle
04-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Yeesh, it looks like my setup is contributing to my problem. The battery is in the trunk. It's an Optima Red Top Starter with 720 cca I think? My headlights always dim anytime I use the turn signals. My car has had harder times starting up when I leave any electrical item on. My engine oil is sae 50 Valvoline VR1 stuff with the Lucas additive.
I'm gonna start by moving my battery back to the front (My brother smoothed out my tail panel and relocated the fuel filler inside the trunk - so I guess now's the best time to save myself from blowing up)
But I'm strongly looking into starters because I've always struggled a little with starting it up. I want my engine to start up fast so that the moment I turn the ignition it goes vrrrooom. In a starter what would I be looking for? I've seen some that rate on what comp. ratio I'm running. I'm at 12:1... I've seen some that recommend 12.5 or 13 to 1 and up. Could I run that? Or is there a risk in running a starter that's too powerful? Thanks

paul67
04-24-2005, 02:24 PM
If you check a previous thread you will find that if you run multi core earth wire thats used on welders it cures it running 1 from engine to bat and bat to frame you can never have to many grounds crank amps seem enough I'm using two deisel batts giving me 1000+amps had no probs would change starter as it does not mater how go the starter is if the batt or grounds no good it still will not start as the more powerful starter will just drain the batt faster or heat the cables up so draining the power.+its the cheaper 1st opp
paul67

paul67