PDA

View Full Version : GM Rear Calipers

dsittler
02-28-2010, 12:40 PM
I recently converted my drums over to rear discs, the required the use of GM rear calipers with the integrated parking brake in the caliper. The calipers are from a 70-85 Eldorado, Riviera or Toronado.
My question is there a proper/easy way to adjust the parking brake. No matter how many time I actuate the lever, the park brake will not ratchet up. They are new calipers. I have a low brake pedal and I know I do not have the parking brake adjusted properly so some advice here from someone with more experience would be helpful.

Derek

Skip Fix
03-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Sometimes the ratchet is frozen in there,then you need another caliper. You can also take off the lever and with a wrench get it closer to the rotor then put back on the lever.

The caliper is similar to the 79-81 Trans Am rear disc, there are a few places that have the directions in how to adjust them also, shop manuals etc.

Scarebird makes setups using those type calipers and might be a source.

They can be frustrating.

BonzoHansen
03-01-2010, 10:05 AM
All that^^^^

Get them close then they shoud pump up by ratcheting the e-brake

Apogee
03-01-2010, 12:11 PM
We used to sell some of the Caddy caliper type of kits and discontinued those products due to the lack of availability of quality remanufactured calipers. The only company that I'm aware of with a source of new caliper castings and internals is TSM (http://www.tsmmfg.com/)

Tobin
KORE3

dsittler
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
The calipers are rebuilt units, I could get new or rebuilts no problem here locally. I realize now why this caliper is no longer used, poor design to get the adjustment correct, what makes it worse is I cannot get at the adjustment nut properly while the caliper is mounted due to a suspension component in the way. I have to remove the caliper and adjust it then reinstall it, however it looks like I have it set now.
The caliper mount kits I purchased from www.tsmmfg.com for my car.

Now all I have to do is wait for the nice weather and try them out.

I wish there was more options available for my model of car, this is the only one I could find. Everywhere I enquired I got the same answer "NO!" I don't think anyone even tried!

Derek