PDA

View Full Version : '69 Camaro Suspension Bushings

Keiths Camaro
02-27-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm collecting all the parts to rebuild the front end on my '69. Its still got the original non-power drums and steering. The bushings are also shot. I've got a steering box out of a '87 T/A, Hotchkis 2" coil springs, and a front disc brake conversion kit. Which bushings should I use. I'm looking at PST Poly-graphite or urethane. Its just going to be a cruiser with the family.

RatTouring
02-28-2010, 08:57 AM
PST polygraphite bushings are great for the price if you are using stock upper and lower A-arms - I've used them on my 69 Camaro and 70 Chevelle with great results in the past. It comes down to budget vs your goal. Since you are just building a cruiser - good replacement parts are a must, and ride quality is an issue as well. If you go that route you will not be disappointed.

6'9"Witha69
02-28-2010, 09:00 AM
If you go PST or other Poly bushing, grease the snot out of them during assembly, and make sure everything is tigtened with full vehicle weight on the suspension. Also, use the Energy suspension sway bar mounts, as they are greasable. Last I checked the PSTs were not. Trust me, a lot of additional stiffness and binding can come from this place alone.

RatTouring
02-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Agreed with 6'9"Witha69 just replaced the worn out ADDCO stuff for Energy sway bar mounts for the very same reason! Good catch

Keiths Camaro
02-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the information. Hopefully I'll get off my butt and try to order the bushings this week. I'm going to talk to my sons girlfriends mom that works at a parts house to get some Moog ball joints and other suspension stuff. I want to get the suspension done so I can cruise safely for a while.

bijanmaleki
03-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Awesome, needed this info myself.

another69
03-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Go with stock rubber or delrin- I'm sure I'll get some crap for this, but poly bushings and subframe mounts are a waste of money- really a poor design if you look at them. Not really a bearing, not really a bushing, and if there are no zerks, then I hope you don't mind squeaks. Worst mod I ever did. And yeah I used all the grease they provided with the kit. 2000 miles later I have a squeaky, binding, mess. Rubber would be fine for a cruiser- most any oem bushing is rubber.