PDA

View Full Version : Paint help

my72vette454
04-23-2005, 02:06 PM
I have some fiberglass sidepipe covers for my vette and was wondering what kind of paint to use on them? I was thinking some kind of silver color, not trying to make them look like shiny aluminum but I like the silver look. I guess the paint needs to be good for a little heat? I would love to paint the undersides of them with that lizzardskin ceramic coating stuff to keep them cooler but you can only buy it in 2 gal containers and it needs to be used once its opened...:(. Say does antbody wanna split a container of it with me?

Mike

my72vette454
04-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Anybody?

Happyfunballs
04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
I've spoke with alot of people that have painted engines and they use a regular base/clear paint from reputable manufacturers. If it were me, I might try this first and see if it discolors. I have a feeling you'd be ok. However, there are companies out there that have high heat paints that you could try.

427v8
05-12-2005, 04:59 AM
Have you painted them yet?
I painted mine with House of Kolor Silver basecoat and clear. Hasn't yellowed yet. Nice and shiney in the sun, not chrome, but not the cheap silver look either.

HOK has the best paint for high temp apps. But you know the covers don't get all that hot, think about how hot a black car gets in the sun and you realise you have nothing to worry about!

68protouring454
05-12-2005, 05:22 AM
you will be fine with base/clear on the engine, cars in warm climates often get well over 200 degrees in the sun, especially dark colors, that is why there is no problem with baking cars at 160 to cure the paint after painting, the wires/battery/interior get much hotter in the sun then it does getting its finish baked on.
go for it, there will be no issues
jake

nitrovette
05-12-2005, 11:50 AM
I had a set on mine that i painted cast iron grey and cleared and never had a problem,then i switched to hooker side exhaust.