PDA

View Full Version : Considering Corner Scales....

sik68
02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
I have been on a weight-savings kick lately...I am now plotting various ways of shedding pounds from my car. It seems to me that in order to play with the "big boys" of pro touring with all their fancy multilink suspensions and fat tires and such, an easy way for a budget car to keep up is to lose weight.

Me being the sort of person to always rationalize ridiculous car purchases, I am very tempted to buy a corner scale system to track my modifications. I have 2 questions for you guys:

1) My mental budget is ~1000 bucks, based on what I've seen on Summit. Is this a good price range? What should I be looking for feature-wise, and what is unnecessary? Any brands I should pay attention to or avoid?

2) Ideally, I have a strategy to slowly re-coup costs, by setting up the corner scales at several cruise-ins and autocrosses around the Bay Area, as well as advertising my scaling services on Craigslist. The bay area has a vast number of racers...I just wonder how many of them are serious about vehicle weight. Do you think there is some demand there? What would you be willing to pay for a corner scale weighing of your car?

Thanks you guys for the feedback,
Steven

gimp
02-26-2010, 08:17 AM
If I remember correctly, the Summit scales don't do cross-balance, but a calculator will.

John Wright
02-26-2010, 08:59 AM
To use those as a service to a customer, will you need to calibrate these at some determined interval?

Jim Nilsen
02-26-2010, 03:54 PM
To use those as a service to a customer, will you need to calibrate these at some determined interval?

Calibrating is very important and can be done every time you set them up if you choose to carry around the weights to do so. Having weights that are exact known amounts can be put on the scales to see if they match. I have had to calibrate for inspections and repairs and until the weights match up with the scale there is a a problem.

Interesting thoughts about how many would pay to have their car scaled. My car was going to be lighter until I got scales and found I was gaining weight fast. Now it is going to weigh what it weighs and I am not worried because their are always plenty of ways to get more power.

Goodluck choosing because there are lots to choose from.

JRouche
02-26-2010, 09:12 PM
I picked up a set of longacre 72595 scales with a nice aluminum case, ramps and bridge beams for 650 bucks. Was used for one season then the company ran out of race money. Pretty nice scales. Alot of their line has gone to wireless but I dont race so I just use it in my garage. I dont mind the wires.

Look around for a used set that is in good condition. You might be surprised what deals are out there. JR

Longacre 72595 scales.
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=1407&catid=1

MCMLXIX
03-13-2010, 12:42 AM
I was thinking the same thing. It would be nice to have a set.... and could possible recoupe some of the investment at local events....

What would someone be willing to pay to have the car weighed?

JR - I wish I could find a deal like yours. Nice score.

gkring
03-13-2010, 11:07 AM
I bought the intercomp EZ weigh set. Looks like it is around $800 right now. Good luck on finding a cheap set of a good brand name in good condition. The deals may be out there, but I looked quite awhile and only found ancient sets. The cables can be a pain to stuff back in the box, but for as little as I use them it would not be worth the extra money to go wireless.

Your best bet on making a little money back would be dyno type events or renting them out to club events.

JRouche
03-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing. It would be nice to have a set.... and could possible recoupe some of the investment at local events....

Hey Rich. A double post from LG. Might help some folks.....

Rich was asking about using his scales to help guys out to find their weights, and in the process help to pay for the scales. A win , win deal. This was my comment.......

Good idea!! Some folks would like to see the weight of their car. Just out of curiosity. Total weight, and offsets. I think its a great idea. But.. I think if you make it 20 bucks you will have folks lining up. A guy will toss a 20. When it gets above that he may pass. But a 20 dollar a weigh will be easy for many more folks. Think about masses, not money. The money will come with the masses. You make it 10 bucks a weigh and I bet you will have to give out time slot slips. Imagine that. A car show and you have a hand full of time slips each worth 10 bucks.

Think about it. Most car enthusiast would like to know what their car weighs. And what it is back to front and side to side. If they could drop ten bucks to find out they will.

Roll on and roll off ramps and you will be like an ice cream shop in Desert Valley. Do your pockets hold that much money???

Oh... And a side note. For the car folks local. If you want to weigh up I have a decent set of digital scales with ramps. Freebee weigh up. Just have to commit to some car talk and maybe some eats. And if its on sunday you have to partake in my Margarita Sunday leisure time https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/02/smile1-1.gif Yes, that means you have to belly up to a margarita. Solly, I drink margaritas every sunday. Ummm, guaranteed to be the best you have had. If not the price of admission (free) is returned. LOL Come one, come all. Margarita Sunday!!!! JR