PDA

View Full Version : 'Glass hood prep

parsonsj
08-26-2004, 07:33 AM
Alright all you body guys. I have a couple of questions about my Harwood fiberglass hood.
1. It came with 1" lips pointing down around all the edges. They are big enough to affect the body gaps with cowl and fenders. Is it OK to cut those back to 1/4" or so?
2. Is there any prep steps I can take (or to be accurate, David Sloan can take) to reduce any future shrinkage issues? I don't want my hood looking all "weathered" a year after it's painted.

thanks!
jp

astroracer
08-26-2004, 08:05 AM
John,
You can trim the flanges back, just try not to cut into the actual seam where the inner and outer skins are bonded together (if so equipped).
As far as prep work goes... how old is the hood? I ask this because, if it is fairly new, it will still be gassing out and curing from the construction process. I always set a 'glass hood outside in the weather for a week or so to let it "cook". Sunshine, hot/cold cycles, rain, whatever... This will help the hood stablize and should prevent the shrinkage problem you mentioned and will bring out any "imperfections" that may exist before you get it painted...
I did this with the Unlimited Products hood on my truck and I've had no problems with it...

parsonsj
08-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Right. Flanges. Not lips.

Cool about the flanges. I figured they were there mostly to help guide the underside part into place during the bonding step. I figured I shouldn't mess with the bond area; that's why I still need a 1/4 or 3/8" or so.

My hood is actually used, and pretty old. I've had it a year, and it's all faded and pretty beat up. A few days in the hot sun might be a good idea as well.

thanks.