PDA

View Full Version : Prodigy Update

ProdigyCustoms
04-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Michael has been working on Prodigy a lot in the evenings. Every time we do something trick, we feel it is the cars coolest feature until we dream up something else. The trickest feature today is the exhaust and fuel cap, but we have lots of cool new things to do.
Last month Michael's started on the headers and exhaust. When he got to the rear body panel, it was time to tackle the exhaust exit. Here are some header pics. The headers are pretty complex because they are fairly hefty tube at 2" and had to clear the narrowed front frame, and go through the tunnel, not under the car, to 3" exhaust he built. This is his first set of headers or exhaust, I gave lots of advice, he did a fantastic job.

ProdigyCustoms
04-22-2005, 03:32 PM
These past couple weeks he worked on that exhaust exit and fuel cap. Since most will only see this end of prodigy, we wanted to be sure it looked good going away! Originally we were going to use Cuda or Challenger type exhaust, and at the 11th hour changed our mind and decided to use round outlets. So we worked out a nice way to get them through the tail panel. Exhaust through the tail panel, or hidden exhaust is a pet peeve of mine. I just like it clean.

After doing the exhaust outlets, we decided to go ahead and mount the Viper / Cobra gas cap. This was the first part we bought for the car, before we even bought the car. While messing with it trying to decide weather to put it straight up or sideways, Michael said "Steve has his sideways"! Steve who I said? He say's your friend Steve with the street fighter.

I guess I had seen it at some point, but had forgotten. I called Steve this week and reminded him that plagiarism is a pure form of flattery. I let him know he should be flattered! Michael decided to change it a bit and recess it ala Viper GTS coupe.

Here are some pics with the spoiler taped on, the bumper hanging by 1 bolt (crooked), and the tailpipes held in with cardboard, LOL!
Anyway, I think it will look badass

Rybar
04-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Badass is right! That thing looks killer. The stance looks perfect.

What drivetrain are you running? BBC and what??

ProdigyCustoms
04-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Right now it has a big block with 8.5:1 compression that made 540HP on the dyno. It is set up for a blower, we will see if he gets a blower or not as he is building it with his money and wants it done for SEMA this year for sure. Blower will easily push it up near 800 to 900.
It gets a TKO600 and has a C4 front and narrowed C4 rear that is getting some prototype arms we will be selling. They are going to be super trick and eliminate all the bump steer, but more on that later.

Steve68
04-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Man I need to come see that thing, you going to be there next Friday, I have to go to the VW dealer?

parsonsj
04-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Love the exhaust tips. Beautifully done!

jp

Tim_in_NC
04-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Sweet!!!

Roger Poirier
04-22-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm glad you sent out some pic's of you and your sons project. I have been very anxious to see what has been happening with this car. I'm jealous of the exhaust, as my 69 GTO has only a rear bumper. No rear valance pan. I give your son credit, building his own set of headers. I'm still learning how to attach them without braking my knuckles and must be 3 times his age. Maybe he is a natural at this type of automotive stuff.

Great work! It's going to be beyond awesome! Plus red and black, my favorite colors! R.P.

colt zantop
04-22-2005, 08:45 PM
man that looks awesome.....theres some talent there! awesome work!

68protouring454
04-23-2005, 04:15 AM
killer, i am so glad i got to see in when i was down there, your gonna have some fun with it, don't be surprised if you see alot more copying in the near future lol, awesome car, awesome work mike
jake

Andrew McBride
04-23-2005, 05:25 AM
Frank,

you guys do some great work. great looking car.

MoeBawlz
04-23-2005, 05:36 AM
Car looks great... I like the exhaust a lot.

ProdigyCustoms
04-23-2005, 06:10 AM
Thanks for all the compliments, I am obviously real proud of what he is doing. Steve, anytime, you know that. Just Call. Jake, sounds like a warning, LOL!

NUBREED
04-23-2005, 07:12 AM
Like Father,like Son..very Killer...

68protouring454
04-23-2005, 09:43 AM
nubreed would know killer cause his 69 is just that, awesome cars, awesome guys, wished i lived closer!!!
jake

Bill Howell
04-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Hurry up and get through with that junk. I got another convertible that needs some work. :lmao:
Seriously, I love the way the exhaust looks coming out the rear. I can only imagine how good it is going to sound too with the chambered exhaust pipes.
All those hours ya'll have put in are really starting to show. I can not wait to see it finished.
Oh yeah, tell Michael if he ever wants to open a shop to call me, I will set him up-lol
(How is the driveway coming?)

Steve Chryssos
04-23-2005, 05:25 PM
I have seen Prodigy in person. It will be a bad muuuhf@#$er The roll bar has to be seen first hand to be fully appreciated. You gotta see the way the convertible top fits over the bar. Michael's proving that he's got skills the old fashioned way: by building a standout car.
/Steevo

p.s.
Oh yeah--good choice with the gas cap. I found my cap (and mirrors) in a cobra parts ad in Kit Car magazine. As I have a fuel cell, the gas cap hides my battery disconnect switch. Install is a piece of cake.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

67Sally
04-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Frank, Michael is progressing on the project nicely. Good job at mentoring. I look forward to many more updates and seeing it at SEMA.
W.

ProdigyCustoms
04-23-2005, 05:52 PM
We have not locked up a SEMA spot yet, but are actively working to find the right spot. Just setting that as a realistic target and have it ready. Were on the home stretch now.

Steve, as I said above, you should be flattered. Love the way yours hides the switch. We actually are using the stock filler and are building a tank to go where a stock tank would. The tank will be very long front to rear, and narrow side to side with those 3" exhaust pipes coming through, but it looks like we will still be a 18 gallons tank.

Bill, we would love to get a hold of the GTO to be. I found a rendering I need to scan and send you from a British rag I get. It is bigger then my scanner will take, so I will have to go to Kinko's. Gives some good ideas.

MuscleRodz
04-23-2005, 07:56 PM
I love seeing your updates Frank since our cars are following similar paths. Mike did a great job on that jigsaw puzzle of an exhaust. I feel that has got to be one of the hardest pieces to envision finished as you build it. I would be damn proud of my son too if he was as talented yours. Your vert keeps me fired up on mine.

Off subject question since you have done several of these. Why does it look like the ears on the rear bumper don't follow the lines of the car? Nearly everyone I see looks that way to me and it bugs me.

Mike

ProdigyCustoms
04-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Funny you mention the rear bumper. Michael says he does not want the bumper because of the fit. We may, and I only say may because we have to finish this thing at some point, and save something for another car, but I am looking at cutting the bumper down and flush mounting it, or nearly flush.

rockdogz
04-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Wow, that's some nice fabrication - can't wait to see the finished product! :drool:

MuscleRodz
04-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Dammit Frank, get out of my head! I was with my sheetmetal guy Friday just discussing this issue. I am going to narrow the bumper where it stops at the side of the car and nicely fairs in. This will require me to flush the area on the side of the quarter where it will be smooth that the bumper once covered. Of course the bumper bolts will be flushed and rechromed.

Mike

Travis B
04-25-2005, 05:41 AM
The car looks great! as for the bumpers I think you should ahead and cut it down so it fits around the car! We did this on the Nomad we are doing along with sectioning the the ends so they don't stick out so far and we sectioned the bumber gaurds for a sleeker look!

I say cut the bumber!! :headbang: :headbang:

I'm sure what ever you decide will look great! the car speaks for itself as far as design features go!

steve g
04-27-2005, 02:51 PM
I have to say that I'm lucky that I live close and have had the opportunity to visit Frank's shop a few times. I'm truly amazed each time. I thought the yellow 69 convertible was awesome, but Michael's car looks to one up that one.

Bill Howell
04-27-2005, 03:11 PM
I hear there is another convertible on the way to the shop :naughty:
Might have really wide rear tires when it leaves :dunno:

Steve Chryssos
04-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Hey now!! That's great news Bill. Now that Frank has his website up, we can follow along with the progress. Goodie.

CAMAROBOY69
04-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Looks sick!! That is the nicest stance I have seen on a 67-68 body style so far. I really like the gas cap idea and the wheels. The headers turned out great too. :bananna2:
I have soo much more respect for guys like you and other members in here that do everything yourself. :) Well I am assuming that is you in the pic. :lmao:

ProdigyCustoms
04-29-2005, 05:04 PM
That would be Michael in the pics. Michael is a bit shy and won't post, so I handle the shamless plugs, LOL!

Zefhix
04-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Man, what talent! Crap, the more I hear through the grapevine, the more true examples of PT cars I know will be at SEMA. I hope we can all arrange some kind of photo shoot with our cars together. I think it would prove to be an amazing scene.