PDA

View Full Version : Four link?

rayy
02-18-2010, 05:44 PM
I just purchased a 71 Maverick. I am planning a Rod and Custom frontend. But the rear I am not sure about. I thought somone on this forum had installed a late 90s foxbody 8.8 and then made a fourlink from that. I dont think anyone make's a bolt in kit 3 or 4 link for these cars. I would like to mini tub the car for a 18x10 so I need to get rid of the leafs. Thanks for the help.

Bryce
02-19-2010, 06:09 AM
first of all, cool purchase. I love mavericks.

second of all, mustang II style suspension is not the best option. It loads the subframe different than its original design intended, so lots of structural bracing would need to be added. I designed my own suspension but TCP and griggs are good choices in the front.

There is a reason MII stuff is only $2K and TCP is closer to $4K both including steering. More engineering time and design work.

Third, I think the mavericks are the same rear subframe as the mustang. So a TCP g-link would work or airride or griggs torque arm.

I have a falcon and Im building a 3-link for much less than buying any kit.

Also, fox suspension is not all that great. It works and can be made to wrok great but there are still some design flaws that could be greatly improved to minimize the comprimises.

Good luck Rayy.

rayy
02-19-2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the input your always willing help and provide. The rear I am almost for sure is not the same as a Mustang. That being said I would love to see some pics of your setup. The Mustang II looked like the best option at first due to clearance. The TCP stuf might be out of my budget. The car will see little road course duty just the Goodguys autocross and some other events. I dont mind fabing somthing up but wanted to see what is out there first. Thanks

rayy
02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
What do you think of the Art Morrison tri 4-bar suspension?

tillman
02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
That is what I put in my camaro
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/06/P10100191-1.jpg

GrabberGT
02-20-2010, 05:05 AM
The rear frame rails on the maverick kick up at a steaper angle than the Mustang to accommodate the rear seat. Therefore the use of any mustang tri-four-bar style setup would likely require shortening the upper links or cutting into the back seat area. The Spectre Performance Maverick used the Rod and Customs Mustang 4-bar and had to delete the back seat.

I decided to go with a TCI Mustang torque arm solution to keep my back seat. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65505 I will have to modify the kit a little to make it fit but I should have to change my car. I know the subframe connectors will need some work but otherwise it should be a bolt in. That project is scheduled for late spring so I do not have any specific info yet.

rayy
02-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I would like to keep the back seat. Glad to see I am not the only one in TX doing a Maverick. I almost hate to do to much to the car it is a one owner with 70k miles. But I have to!!!

rayy
02-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Will post pics soon.