PDA

View Full Version : Ful Line Routing, Which Side?

ATAK, Inc.
02-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Didn't find anything via search. Is there any reason to route on the passenger side as opposed to the driver side?

The only thig I see is there is more traffic on the drivers side, brake line to the rear and parking brake cable. Going this side would shorten the line by at least a foot. Going on the passenger side is wide open, with no interference.

Any good reasons, or bad reasons, for going either side!

I'm running braid directly from the tank so my starting point is pretty much in the middle of the car. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, Tom

wmhjr
02-18-2010, 09:01 AM
For tech inspections, if you're running braid any fittings need to be exposed anyway, right? For pure street use it doesn't matter. IMHO for street use the only issue would be how/where you cross over if you need to. Otherwise it makes no difference. From the factory, different cars routed on different sides to begin with.

Route 66 Motorsports
02-18-2010, 09:09 AM
I have routed fuel injection lines for several different type of cars and engine setups. The final decision on which side I use is based on the inlet of the fuel rail and the outlet of the gas tank.

parsonsj
02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
There's no right or wrong answer. It's usually easier to go passenger side since the brake lines are typically on the driver's side.

But before you install braided SS line, have a look at this thread:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62575

jp

ATAK, Inc.
02-18-2010, 09:48 AM
There's no right or wrong answer. It's usually easier to go passenger side since the brake lines are typically on the driver's side.

But before you install braided SS line, have a look at this thread:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62575

jp

Hey John, Thanks for the heads-up. I guess I knew that about regular braid just never put 2 and 2 together. In the Air Force all flexable fuel lines were PTFE lined braid, Duh! I have made up most of my lines but a few months should make thru with no issue. Actually, I'll go with what I have to start and at the first moment will swap out with a hybrid of hard line and PTFE where needed.
Tom

CarlC
02-18-2010, 11:26 AM
If possible try to select the side that has the engine attachment point. Reducing the time that the fuel may heat soak due to crossing the fuel line across the engine compartment is a good thing. Many OE designs do cross the aft engine compartment but I don't know why they do it.

Roadbuster
02-19-2010, 12:51 AM
I think Carl is right. On my GTO which has the fuel pump on the drivers side of the engine, the fuel lines run up the drivers side.

On a Chevelle the lines run up the passenger side and the fuel pump is on the passenger side.

Jon

ATAK, Inc.
02-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys, Even though the answer seems obvious it still needs asking and most times seeing that forest thru the trees is kinda tough!

Tom

wmhjr
02-24-2010, 09:08 AM
You want the lines to come from your tank/cell and cross to whichever side at the rear of the car (like at the rear crossmember) where there is the least opportunity for clearance issues and heat issues. The side you use should be based on your own geometry. If you have a sump mounted electric fuel pump and are running the line straight to your intake without a block mounted fuel pump, it makes no difference at all. If you're running a block mounted pump, you want to run it on the side that the pump is mounted on because you really don't want to have to cross over at the front crossmember. Heat and damage risk. There's usually plenty of room regardless of how you run your brake lines. I have 1/2" stainless supply and 1/4" stainless return along with stainless brake lines all running on the drivers side of my boxed frame. It's tight with the body on, but not a big deal.