PDA

View Full Version : Is this a reasonable starting point for ignition timing?

Larry Callahan
02-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Engine = 407cid SBC with 10 pounds of turbo boost.

Does this look like a reasonable starting point for an ignition table?

This is what the Electromotive Tuning Wizard spits out for my engine.

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=29739

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=29736

MrForce
02-16-2010, 06:47 PM
I would say its about 6 degrees short from 2500 up. More specifically, above 2500, total timing before going into boost could and should be around 34-36 degrees. Vacuum advance (light load) 42-44 degrees, and with proper intercooling, 28 degrees at 10 psi, although I would start at 25 to be safe.

The generated curve seems to be for an LSx, Ford mod motor, or DOHC import.

camcojb
02-16-2010, 07:05 PM
I agree with the above, that's a very conservative timing map for a standard small block (non-LS). I'd also run about 20 degrees at idle and blend your map from there. Definitely 40-44 degrees in the light cruise areas.

Jody

jfaria78
02-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Well, I agree that it is conservative. Is there a way you can have two maps and load one when you are racing and load another when you driving around. Having worked on supercharged cars most of my life I know that changes to your timing by simply 1 degree can make a big difference. 10 pounds of boost is not that much, you may get more horsepower just be turning up the boost 2lbs and not screw with the timing at all. Just my two cents...

James

Larry Callahan
02-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. What I want is safe. I want to keep exhaust temps in check and be able to run any junk gas. With 10psi I will be happy now matter how much HP is makes. I'm after reliable, drivable no worries long lasting don't kill it timing. and yes, with a laptop I can swap programs easy but I don't want to. I just want to drive the piss put of it and not worry about it.

Larry Callahan
02-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I agree with the above, that's a very conservative timing map for a standard small block (non-LS). I'd also run about 20 degrees at idle and blend your map from there. Definitely 40-44 degrees in the light cruise areas.

Jody

Jody, I know this is an old post but did this work out for you?

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showpost.php?p=379469&postcount=5

camcojb
02-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Jody, I know this is an old post but did this work out for you?

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showpost.php?p=379469&postcount=5
well timing for an LS like I had is completely different than for a standard small block. I was running 18 degrees on my LS2 at 15 psi and 91 octane, but I had water injection and a good intercooler. That map I posted would be very conservative for a standard small block. I ran 28-30 degrees at 15 psi on a 406 I built for a friend, but again water injection and he only had about 8.5:1 compression with a Procharger (which is on the low side compression-wise for a centrifugal).

Your map looks more like an LS map to me than a standard small block. Get ahold of Mike Norris for a recommendation, he's a very good tuner that will keep you out of trouble, and he does it for a living. I still think he'll say you timing map is too conservative for your combo.

Jody

MrForce
02-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Try this....

68Formula
02-19-2010, 06:25 AM

Jody

Agreed, need more timing at idle and cruise.
Max WOT timing (w/o boost) should come in at your 2717 rpm point and with an LS, I'd target 32°.
Your max boost numbers from 2717rpm up are probably in the right range depending on compression ratio, but you need to blend the values inbetween WOT w/o boost vs. max boost condition.

John Wright
02-19-2010, 06:37 AM
LOL...I was wondering about this chart....LOL, I forgot this motor is boosted....the tables looked backwards to me. NOOB mistake, I'm trying to learn how to read these tables.

Jim Nilsen
02-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Try this....

I am wondering if you could post up a VE table and a timing table for a normally aspirated big cammed SBC. I know it would not be exactly the same as what I need but I am just trying to see if I am anywhere near the right track on things.

I have gotten a few places of my program to finally go a bit to the lean side to learn what it takes to get there but I am still wondering what a really well done 3D map looks like and a timing table too.

I am looking more for how I need to adjust it with the kpa's and the rpm. Without putting it under a load I think it is leading me in a direction that I will have to change a lot later when wide open throttle at lower rpm is happening.

Thanks