PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Death... Very sad

subtlez28
02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm sure a lot of you heard about the athlete killed in practice. I was quite surprised to see the video out. I imagine it will be taken down soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5lAS7H6tkg

Sad...

David Pozzi
02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
That was awful, wish I hadn't looked!

sunkistcamaro
02-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Thats horrible, very sad.

cheapthrillz
02-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Any sport where speed is involved, there is a danger of accidents.... thank God in our sport we have steel around us and usually well designed cages.

dcozzi
02-12-2010, 08:49 PM
What surprises me is that there is not any plexiglass above the track walls to keep a crash on the track. Also, the unprotected steel girders. That was a horrible way to die.

This whole thing rings with ignorance with everyone suddenly so concerned. Did they think this would never happen? 88MPH down an ice chute on a little board with blades on the bottom? The whole thing is a recipe for disaster.

Very sad and hard to watch but, what the hell were they thinking, it was only a matter of time.

subtlez28
02-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Agreed, I don't see why they don't have plexi or something up to keep them in the shoot.

Mr.VENGEANCE
02-12-2010, 09:05 PM
daaaamn... RIP.

ProdigyCustoms
02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
I do not think padding would have helped the way he hit. Plexi seems to be the answer, kinda no brainer.

Really sad, only 21!

The Stickman
02-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Rip

WILWAXU
02-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Wow..

Seems like plexiglass or something to keep them in the track would be the best answer.

Damn True
02-13-2010, 12:33 AM
I do not think padding would have helped the way he hit. Plexi seems to be the answer, kinda no brainer.

Really sad, only 21!

88mph to 0mph in 0sec.

No amount of padding would have helped.

The problem is that in an Olympiad you have athletes who are essentially rookies on the same "field of play" as the absolute best in the world. While it is sad that the young man passed today, the inescapable truth is that he had no business being on what is by all accounts the fastest and most technical luge/skeleton track ever constructed.

It's akin to taking a 1st year comp licensed spec miata racer and entering him in the 24hrs of LeMans.

I'm surprised that something like this has not happened more often with one of the "fun quirky stories" of the past like Eddie the Eagle or the Jamacian Bobsled Team.

There is a Ghanan skier entered in the DH who has been skiing for 2yrs.......think about that. From Ghana. He used to be the receptionist at an indoor skiing facility in Scotland. I am not kidding. I mean it's cute but really?

rob07002
02-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Wow, that YouTube video doesn't give you much prep for what you're about to see.

Horrific to say the least. Prayers to his family and teammates.

Plexi, netting, or something should have been in place.

Terrible

Rybar
02-13-2010, 10:50 AM
The Olympics are in my hometown, this definitely was very sad news on an exciting day for the city and country. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

They did fix the track overnight, installed a barrier wall along that corner over the posts.

The track has been used over a year now and there have been many runs and events on it before this tragic event.

http://vancouver2010.blogs.nytimes.com/

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/02/14lugespanblogSpan-1.jpg

Damn True
02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Ooh, this does not look good:

From February 10, 2010, Toronto Sun (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/rob_longley/2010/02/10/12815276-sun.html):

In case they pull the story

We're in it to win it

Don't be fooled by our lugers smiles, they have a take-no-prisoners strategy
By ROB LONGLEY ([email protected]), TORONTO SUN

WHISTLER -- When it comes to Olympic Games in our home and native land, no one knows better than Canadians where nice guys usually finish.

So as B.C. readies to welcome the world, perhaps it's time to be less than gracious hosts.

The griping from afar is reaching full volume, framed with surprise that the friendly northern nation could be so cutthroat.

Arguably most vocal has been the U.S. luge team, complaining about restricted access to the tricky track at the Whistler Sliding Centre.

To that, Canadian officials say: Tough sliding.

"From my position, we would be stupid not to take home-field advantage," Canadian coach Wolfgang Staudinger said here on Tuesday.

"I'm quite happy we did what we did. I wish we would have done it a little more."
Earlier this week it was the Austrian ski team moaning about restricted access to the Dave Murray Downhill course. Before that it has been speed skaters denied exposure to the Richmond Oval. So the whiners of the world are claiming we are taking home ice/slope/track advantage a little too far.

"I've been in this position for 25 years and I won't forget," USA Luge executive Ron Rossi said recently. "The U.S. will also be fortunate enough to have a Games at some point in the future."

That hardly has the Canadians shaking in their sleds. To a man and woman on Tuesday they said it's all fair play, a situation encountered any time they venture abroad for a World Cup event.

"As traditionally modest Canadians, maybe it took some people by surprise," women's single competitor Regan Lauscher said. "Olympic Games or not, home ice is home ice and any nation would take advantage of that."

The athletes and coaches have seen it first hand, especially Stuadinger, who was hired in 2007 to help take Canadians from mere participants to contenders. The former German Olympian says gamesmanship always has been part of the Euro-dominated sport.

"We face this as soon as we enter European soil," Staudinger said. "The Germans basically put a lock on the tracks and you do not get extra runs.

PLAYING BY THE RULES

"We did everything we had to do. We followed the international rules. I don't see any cause for (the complaints.)"

The tiff has roots back to 2002 when the Canadians were granted extra runs to prepare for the Salt Lake Games. But that was a lifetime ago in the sport for both countries. Now, the U.S. has a medal contender in Erin Hamlin and the Canadians have their own woman prospect in Alex Gough, a regular in the top 10 who could make a surprise leap to the podium here.

The Americans argue there was a handshake agreement that would allow their athletes to have similar access to that given the Canadians prior to Salt Lake.
That deteriorated a year ago when the Canadians asked for an extra week to prepare for the world championships in Lake Placid in exchange for the Americans getting one extra week here. When USA Luge said it wanted four weeks in Whistler, all bets were off.

"You always want more (practice) especially on an Olympic track," USA Luge veteran, Tony Benshoof said on Tuesday, biting his tongue. "And the Canadians gave us the bare minimum."

Damn True
02-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Brilliant reporting from usatoday:
It's sir Isaac Newton's fault:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...ck-probe_N.htm

Headlines elsewhere is usa today: Carcinogens cause cancer!, and: Kittens, cats of the future?

jon72vega
02-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Rip

vanzuuk1
02-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Wow, good thing they installed the barrier after someone died..what foresight.

2ndgenhunter
02-13-2010, 07:32 PM
It's sad he lost his life,But atleast he went out doing what he loved. RIP

WILWAXU
02-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Glad to see they put a barrier up. Hopefully in the future all corners have something simular.

When I read the report of the accident, I was afraid they had done nothing.