PDA

View Full Version : EFI wanted-convert SBC, LS1 or 502BB?

Chevy
04-21-2005, 06:12 PM
I am working on my first project, a 1968 camaro and am finishing up the chassis/suspension/braking/steering work and want to drive it for a little while with the current motor and tranny, a sbc 350, with ported 1969 camel hump heads and a comp cam, roller rockers, edelbrock carb, aluminum flywheel, milodon high volume oil pump, lakewood bellhousing, and a rebuilt Muncie M21. It makes good torque and i currently have a 3.77:1 rear with Posi. Incidently, i have cast iron intake 14057055 with date code K82--anyone know what this is from and if it is desirable?

I would like to make the switch to EFI, for driveability and economy and hopefully a little more power. I would say my budget is mid-range. I have been looking at the LS1 crate motors, and it looks like ready to go packages are around $7500. Of course i could also conver the current block to EFI but i think if i did to make the torque i'd like to make (400-450 ft/lb) i may have to stroke it to 383? Then i see the GM 502 fuel injected crate motor for $6,999 from Jeg's with "some assembly required". This makes 565 lb/ft! The fuel injected 350 crate won't get me to the numbers i want. Are there comparably priced fuel injected 383 crate motors out there that people can recommend?

My biggest questions are what are the hidden costs and what are the differences in weight between these options? I haven't been able to find published weight for the 502. I'm putting the camaro together for driving, and have added DSE power steering, front coilover conversion, Baer 13s in front and 12s in the rear with the lowered leaf springs from DSE out back. Will the extra weight of the bb (anyone know exactly what it is? it does have al intake and heads) neccessatate changes in suspension or ruin handling? Are there other costs associated with it that i'm not aware of? I plan to change to a manual overdrive tranny as well but would like to do one at a time to spread the financial burden out a little.

I'd appreciate anyone's input as to pros/cons.

Thanks!

Chevy
04-21-2005, 11:34 PM
Sorry for the misinfo--the ZZ502 (carbureted) is $6,999 unassembled. The Ram Jet502 (injected) is $8,999.

Fuelie Fan
04-22-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure you're being very clear with your goals: The ram jet 350 makes 400ft-lbs, which according to your post is within your desired range. So, do you want 400-450 ft-lbs, or do you want 565?

If you wanted to convert your current engine using an aftermarket system, plan around 3-4K. BUT, remember that even if you bought one of those EFI crate engines, you'd still have to invest in a fuel system ($150+ for the pump, $100-300 for a regulator, $100-? for line depending on what kind you use, fittings, etc). These parts are usually included in conversion kits for your sbc, so that makes it even cheaper in comparison. First, you need to decide whether you are or are not happy with your current combo. EFI by itself doesn't usually make more power than a well-tuned carb. Whatever manifold is part of the EFI coversion kit may or may not lead to a power increase. Power potential is airflow, not fuel flow.