PDA

View Full Version : Spraying metallics and pearls.

trapin
04-21-2005, 06:22 AM
Can any advice be given on spraying metallics and pearls? How does this differ from solid colors and base/clear systems. I am guessing pearls are a 3 stage system?

What would change with the gun and process. I know that with solids it's hold the gun 6 to 8 inches from surface, overlap by half on next pass. Let flash the proper time, hit it again with the next coat. I know that 'Happy' mentioned spraying metallics in a different way. Different in what way? Does the gun still retain it's oval-shaped spray pattern. Any advice on gun settings?

Thanks.

gtome
04-21-2005, 06:56 AM
When I spray them, I do it just as you mentioned. I set my gun to its flattest fan, 50% overlap, and go for it. Only thing different that I have noticed is that it is much easyer to get intensified areas, being consistant with your speed, distance, and overlap is more criticle. Also you cant sand the base of pearls and metallics without respraying. I also over-reduce it just a little to help it flow. You may want to spray a test peice before jumping right into shooting the hood. Like I said it really isnt much different, so load up your gun, and shoot. Oh ya...most pearls are still just a base/clear, but there are some tri coats out there too, just depends on what you get. A chip book will tell you.

Good luck!

68protouring454
04-21-2005, 07:23 AM
as gtome says, just go with it, ibut consistency is key, not to get it blotchy, stay away from tri coats etc, go with a base with metallic/pearl in it, 99% of cars out there are not 3 stage paint, there are some.
i also lonce panel has 2-3 coat on it, thin it out some not much and mist over entire panel, or panels and it helps it flow and all come together,, evens things out , goodluck
jake

Happyfunballs
04-21-2005, 07:26 AM
The most common problems with painting pearls and metallics are uneven disbursement
of the flakes which causes tiger striping(when a hood, for example, is sprayed front to back in an overlapped fashion and the metallic shows a stripe in this overlapped area) or mottling(which is simply areas that have a heavily concentrated area of metallic) Everyone will have different techniques, I choose to over-reduce a bit, and pull the gun away from the surface futher than normal. I go in opposite directions with each coat. Once I feel I have enough paint on the car, with it still wet, I put in a "drop coat" of metallic, basically it's nothing more than a fog coat to better distribute the mettalics.

MuscleRodz
04-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Everybody is right and each person will have a little different technique for painting. I over reduce slightly as well so I can apply as light and even coats as possible. The thinner the coat, the less likely of a run or blotchiness. However I narrow up my overlaps from 50% to 70% to help eliminate striping. HOK application manual gives real good instructions.

Mike

CAMAROBOY69
04-21-2005, 08:24 AM
I just recently painted a friends car with paint that contained quite a bit of pearl and metal flake. On top of that he wanted House Of Color metal flake added to the clear coat too.
Jake(68protouring454) really helped me a lot and guided me thru any help I needed. My best advice is DO NOT GET CHEAP PAINT. Long story short the guy bought the wrong paint. Didnt cover, so I made him buy some good PPG. Night and day difference.
I have painted cars before but the pearl or metal flake really is a different world. The most important part to remember with metal flake is make sure you do NOT get any runs. Do many light coats with the base. Good luck and you will be happy with the results.
I forgot to mention that I also spray in all differnet directions to avoid any of the tiger stripes mentioned above. Criss cross and just dont do the same exact motions over and over again.
Jake's mist idea works really well too. He told me about that one and I really liked the results.
Just wanted to thank Jake again for the e-mail help when I needed it. :yeah:

trapin
04-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys. When you say 'go in different directions' are you talking about switching from a horizontal paint path to a vertical one on the doors, fenders, and quarters between coats? Or do you mean start the next coat in a different location? I don't have to worry about the hood, that'll be a solid color.

CAMAROBOY69
04-21-2005, 08:54 AM
When I say go in different directions I mean always keep the gun perpendicular to the car but instead of walking down the car and spraying the same lines do slight angles the next time.
Example would be if your first pass was parallel to the ground from headlight to tail light then make your next pass start at the high point of the fender and end at the lower part of the rear quarter.
If thats still confusing I could easily demonstrate on a DWG for you real quick. Let me know if you understand. EXAMPLE in next post.

CAMAROBOY69
04-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Here is the visual example. This is just what I do with metallics and pearls to make sure there is no way there will be the Tiger stripe effect. It works well for me.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://img152.echo.cx/my.php?image=pass0ec.jpg)

trapin
04-21-2005, 09:53 AM
I understand now. Thanks for the visual, Adam.

I will go lightly and mist on a number of coats, changing my paint paths as you've illustrated. In addition, I will thin out the base a touch more than the recommended amount. This was some great information. Thanks to all who answered.

ProdigyCustoms
04-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Laying on metalics wet can leave stripes. With metalics I like to do coats in oppsite directions. For the final coat, I like a fast coat with the gun at a further distance, in 4 directions on each panel doing a "dry spray" crisscross coat that I do not touch before clear with a tack rag or anything else. Hitting the car dry in crisscrossing directions will not only set the metalics with no striping, but it will also stand the meatalics on edge for more razzle dazzle.

gtome
04-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Very good advice here! I would also suggest if it looks as if you are getting lots of orange peel with the clear coat, put on a couple extra coats to compensate for the extra wet sanding you will be doing. That way you still end up with the correct amount of clear when your finished. I agree firmly with using good paint. When I painted the bug, a tangerine pearl, a guy came in and wanted the same color. He bought it in an Omni line and it doesnt come close to comparing to the DBU I used. We had them parked side by side 2 days ago, night and day difference.

Happyfunballs
04-22-2005, 05:58 AM
Tips for spraying clear and clear orange peel deserves its own thread. :rolleyes5

68protouring454
04-22-2005, 09:33 AM
jake