PDA

View Full Version : Toyota's " Death Pedal " autopsy

Bow Tie 67
02-04-2010, 05:52 AM
Here is a link to the difference between the two pedals Toyota uses. My teenage daughters drive a Toyota and I made sure they know what to do for a stuck throttle pedal.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/why-toyota-must-replace-flawed-cts-gas-pedal-with-superior-denso-pedal/

MrQuick
02-04-2010, 07:27 AM
quote from article " Toyota should do the right thing and switch production over, and insist on replacing all the CTS-type units even after they have had their temporary fix. A Band-Aid will stop the hemorrhaging for the moment, but nothing less than a transplant will do for the long haul."

thats good....

Mr.VENGEANCE
02-04-2010, 09:08 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/02/2970209854_ff11a2e107_o-1.png

ITLBTU
02-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Am I missing something? Is this pedal just sticking? Are the brakes on these cars so bad that they can't slow the car down enough and then place the car in neutral? Even my 69 Camaro with nearly 450+hp will not overpower my non-power 4 wheel disc brakes...

Jim Nilsen
02-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Am I missing something? Is this pedal just sticking? Are the brakes on these cars so bad that they can't slow the car down enough and then place the car in neutral? Even my 69 Camaro with nearly 450+hp will not overpower my non-power 4 wheel disc brakes...

I have to agree with the point you make. I have never driven car that wouldn't stall at the point of full hard braking. But then anti lock brakes weren't involved. Maybe that is part of the prroblem?

dadto2jays
02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I received this via email......

Thank you, Toyota!

By Greg Brown, columnist,

La Grange Newshttp://lagrangenews.com/bookmark/5749812I (http://lagrangenews.com/bookmark/5749812I) am not an employee of Toyota, neither am I an investor. I am simply one of those millions of Americans’ who drive a Toyota, and am red, white and blue proud of it.

I do happen to have social networks in Alabama, Indiana, Texas, Mississippi and Kentucky who benefit from Toyota manufacturing in their states. And though I have no friends in West Virginia, I am sure there are plenty of Americans there, as well, who are proud to build Corollas and Camrys, make good salaries and pay plenty of taxes.

I not only have one Toyota, silver Camry. I have two. One of them is afflicted with the viral accelerator pedal … the deadly pedal on 2.1 million vehicles that has resulted in six (yes, six) accidents. That’s right, I said six … sechs, seis, sei, sest. Whether pronounced in German, Portuguese, Spanish or Italian, the number still denotes a five-fingered hand plus one. Even if you’re an enemy of Toyota, it’s difficult to clap with that.

I still remember where I was when I became a fan of Toyota. It was 1997 and I was tromping around in the desperate terrain of Uganda, negotiating the landscape between Kampala and “The Bush.. Riding on roads that most bicycles could not safely traverse, I saw one Toyota after another, not just surviving, but quite apparently, thriving in the bucking rodeo of Uganda’s twisted roads. How those cars and trucks survived the rising and falling slopes, the dark contorted pot holes, I will never know. I still remember my pained hips, my twisted back and bruised skull, from riding on those roads with 20 other people stuffed in a van. I wrote in a prayer journal one night, that the skeleton of a man was no match for the chassis of a Toyota truck. I asked our Ugandan translator why the only truck I seemed to see in the bush was a Toyota. Revealing the reach of Darwin, he simply said: “Survival of the fittest.”

When I came home, I told my wife that the next car I was going to buy was a Toyota. I have been faithful, and I have not been disappointed. In fact, I am not bothered a bit by this national, knee-jerk reaction. I wish the congressional committee forming to investigate would summon me. I am humored by it. Selfish human that I am, I also calculate that if the skeptics are successful, I will just get a better deal on the next Toyota I buy … a little discount, maybe.

I write this article today, because I am bothered by the media hype surrounding the recent recall. The last TV hype that matched this was two weeks ago, when a weather report from Atlanta zoomed in on snow flakes collecting on the top rail of a bridge, somewhere near Buford. I mourn, not only, for the loss of good sense in the public discourse, but for the financial injury done to good, decent, hard-working people. Like those folks who work for Toyota.

So, I want to say thank you. A hearty thank you. You guys are doing a great job. Keep doing it. All I have done in the last 14 years with my Camrys is take them in for normal service. That’s all. And the service at my Toyota dealership is so professional, so inexpensive, so dependable and so good, I would get my lawnmower and bicycle tuned up there, if I could.

novaderrik
02-05-2010, 03:13 AM
i wonder how much "silent recall" work was done on this guy's Toyotas at the dealership over the years that he never knew about.

I received this via email......

Thank you, Toyota!

By Greg Brown, columnist,

La Grange Newshttp://lagrangenews.com/bookmark/5749812I (http://lagrangenews.com/bookmark/5749812I) am not an employee of Toyota, neither am I an investor. I am simply one of those millions of Americans’ who drive a Toyota, and am red, white and blue proud of it.

I do happen to have social networks in Alabama, Indiana, Texas, Mississippi and Kentucky who benefit from Toyota manufacturing in their states. And though I have no friends in West Virginia, I am sure there are plenty of Americans there, as well, who are proud to build Corollas and Camrys, make good salaries and pay plenty of taxes.

I not only have one Toyota, silver Camry. I have two. One of them is afflicted with the viral accelerator pedal … the deadly pedal on 2.1 million vehicles that has resulted in six (yes, six) accidents. That’s right, I said six … sechs, seis, sei, sest. Whether pronounced in German, Portuguese, Spanish or Italian, the number still denotes a five-fingered hand plus one. Even if you’re an enemy of Toyota, it’s difficult to clap with that.

I still remember where I was when I became a fan of Toyota. It was 1997 and I was tromping around in the desperate terrain of Uganda, negotiating the landscape between Kampala and “The Bush.. Riding on roads that most bicycles could not safely traverse, I saw one Toyota after another, not just surviving, but quite apparently, thriving in the bucking rodeo of Uganda’s twisted roads. How those cars and trucks survived the rising and falling slopes, the dark contorted pot holes, I will never know. I still remember my pained hips, my twisted back and bruised skull, from riding on those roads with 20 other people stuffed in a van. I wrote in a prayer journal one night, that the skeleton of a man was no match for the chassis of a Toyota truck. I asked our Ugandan translator why the only truck I seemed to see in the bush was a Toyota. Revealing the reach of Darwin, he simply said: “Survival of the fittest.”

When I came home, I told my wife that the next car I was going to buy was a Toyota. I have been faithful, and I have not been disappointed. In fact, I am not bothered a bit by this national, knee-jerk reaction. I wish the congressional committee forming to investigate would summon me. I am humored by it. Selfish human that I am, I also calculate that if the skeptics are successful, I will just get a better deal on the next Toyota I buy … a little discount, maybe.

I write this article today, because I am bothered by the media hype surrounding the recent recall. The last TV hype that matched this was two weeks ago, when a weather report from Atlanta zoomed in on snow flakes collecting on the top rail of a bridge, somewhere near Buford. I mourn, not only, for the loss of good sense in the public discourse, but for the financial injury done to good, decent, hard-working people. Like those folks who work for Toyota.

So, I want to say thank you. A hearty thank you. You guys are doing a great job. Keep doing it. All I have done in the last 14 years with my Camrys is take them in for normal service. That’s all. And the service at my Toyota dealership is so professional, so inexpensive, so dependable and so good, I would get my lawnmower and bicycle tuned up there, if I could.

Bow Tie 67
02-05-2010, 05:09 AM
i wonder how much "silent recall" work was done on this guy's Toyotas at the dealership over the years that he never knew about.

Well at least the problems were addressed, better than fighting to get things covered.

rchaskin
02-05-2010, 06:00 AM
I have to agree with the point you make. I have never driven car that wouldn't stall at the point of full hard braking. But then anti lock brakes weren't involved. Maybe that is part of the prroblem?

This is a perfect time to explain to all non-gearhead people that it is possible (and OK) to put a car in neutral and cut the switch off if the throttle gets stuck.

Taman
02-05-2010, 07:14 AM
It only took a 911 call from a cop for Toyota to step up to the plate and take responsibility. This problem started 7 years ago. Now the Prius is having problems. What's next. The same thing is happening to Toyota that happened to GM. They got to big to watch the quality issues and greed.

dadto2jays
02-05-2010, 08:14 AM
At the end of the day Toyota will remain :1st:

trapin
02-05-2010, 12:07 PM
At the end of the day Toyota will remain :1st:
Oh I'm sure they will....just as soon as they find a way to stop killing their customers. :)

carguy662000
02-05-2010, 01:20 PM
those cars may be produced here and employ some americans but where do you think the profits wind up?

68Formula
02-05-2010, 04:44 PM
those cars may be produced here and employ some americans but where do you think the profits wind up?

In the lawyers hands, by the time this is over.

79-TA
02-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Well at least the problems were addressed, better than fighting to get things covered.

. . . ^ that already happened.

Taman
02-05-2010, 05:32 PM
And I thought that the only thing sold in the US that if used as directed, killed you ,were cigarettes. I guess I was wrong.

dadto2jays
02-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Oh I'm sure they will....just as soon as they find a way to stop killing their customers. :)

:help!: throttle wide open!!!! :drive2: out of control:injured:alive!!!!

shortrack
02-05-2010, 06:25 PM
hmmmmmm.....could a sticking pedal get you out of a speeding ticket.......?????

68Formula
02-05-2010, 08:01 PM
hmmmmmm.....could a sticking pedal get you out of a speeding ticket.......?????

Possibly... if you can keep it on the road and avoid those pesky spike strips.

ZZ430
02-05-2010, 08:33 PM
I wonder what they are going to do when the "fixed" cars do the same thing.

Taman
02-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Same thing as before. Ignore it and blame the driver.

MonzaRacer
02-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Well for one the issue the Prius has is simply software as the abs is activating on rough roads.
Let 80s early to mid 90s S/T Blazers had similar issues, its unsettling not dangerous.
too bad they dont teach kid in ABS car to keep pressing on the pedal if it make weird feeling while stopping instead of letting off the pedal. If your too stupid to modulate brakes then let ABS control it or quit driving.

79-TA
02-06-2010, 04:22 PM
^ If it makes you feel any better, they did tell us about braking with and without ABS when I took driver's ed 7 years ago.

HarleyR
02-06-2010, 05:16 PM
And I thought Main stream media was bad....

79-TA
02-07-2010, 09:34 PM
So, different recall, but very Toyota-esque PR tactics . . . Prius recall announced during the Super Bowl. I doubt your "Main stream" media will jump on that fact.

http://jalopnik.com/5466324/toyota-announces-2010-toyota-prius-recall-during-super-bowl-jerks