PDA

View Full Version : Which headers to use??

69protour
04-20-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm looking for a good fitting header for my 69 Camaro. I've been looking and looking, and found the Hedman #66003 that will fit and the Hooker Super Coms that will fit. I'm just not wanting to spend $500.00 on a set that will either hang down too low or not fit without "Tweeking the tubes." So If any of you have some good headers that don't hang down too low, and fit good let me know. Here's what I'm looking for in detail. No shorties, rob too much HP. Ceramic coated, and 1 3/4" primaries preferably. Thanks guys. Trond. PS. If I have to spend 400 or so on a set I know will fit good I'll do it.

Rick Dorion
04-20-2005, 11:12 AM
The 66003's are the ceramic coated 65003's, correct? I returned a set because they wouldn't fit my PS (although Hedman claims they do) and the ports are oval and vary in orientation - a joke. I wound up painting and reinstalling my 8 year old Hedman's - same part # although you'd never tell by looking at them.

Sir Don
04-20-2005, 11:48 AM
I've had the same problem on my 69 camaros. I put the 4 into 2 into 1 on my Rally car 10 years ago but the one tube needs to be modified to get around the steering. The height was great and was just at the bottom of the frame, so my skid plate fit straight across from frame to frame. Now I'm looking at my latest 69 and have the same question. So PM me if you hear of a GOOD answer. I did ask someone else and they shimmed the engine mount with a couple of washers on each bolt. I've done that, and am also ordering the R&P steering in hopes that it removes the problem entirely. It'll be a couple of months before I buy the headers, but will try to get back to you on the clearence with the steering change.

indyjps
04-21-2005, 04:12 AM
hooker super comps 1 5/8" fit my car very well, had to lift engine to get around power steering but did not have to beat the pipe in, never used their 1 3/4". plan on using the set of 1 7/8" stahl headers i have on next build, we'll see how these monsters fit around everything.

chicane67
04-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Stahl headers.

Fit, performance and cost.