PDA

View Full Version : Fastener question(s)

Tuske427
01-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Hey all:

I was wondering what info/ recommendations you might have in regards to using Stainless steel fasteners to build a car.

I'll be building a '67 firebird, and there are "kits" out there that offer stainless steel fasteners to replace the oem stuff for both interior and exterior applications.

For interiors, I think this is fine, as I'm sure it'll hold the panels and trim up just fine. However, for things on the outside, such as suspension components, bumpers, or sheet metal- is this a good idea?

I'm no metallurgist or structural engineer, but I'm aware that there are different grades of fasteners, and they are strategically used for good reason.

I'm just not sure how the stainless steel fasteners equate to conventional fasteners for yield strength, sheer strength, ductility, etc. I don't think I've ever seen them with the conventional "grading" indicators on them.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks!

wmhjr
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
There are differing opinions on this subject. My advice is if you want to learn about stainless used "safely" in other than cosmetic fastening applications, a good source is "Doc" at Totally Stainless.

That company (among others) provides several different applications of stainless including both 16-6 age hardened and 17-4 precipitation hardened bolts. Anti-Seize is mandatory. I've used their products and have found them to be of high quality. Marcus at SC&C also recommends and sells them. There are also other providers of stainless who may provide great product. I know Frank at Prodigy sells some kits and knowing Frank, they're probably excellent quality. I just mention Totally Stainless because they're relatively local to me and I've used them quite a bit.