PDA

View Full Version : Engine burning oil under supercharger Boost??

WELTERRACER
04-19-2005, 04:44 PM
I can drive around all day and the car doesnt smoke at all.... But if i kick in the secondarys and when the boost comes on, the car starts to smoke BADLY threw the tailpipe..(blue smoke) to the point you cant see behind you..

I am currenly not running a PCV... so i cant figure out how im getting oil in the cylinders..

Andyone got any ideas?

camcojb
04-19-2005, 05:15 PM
I can drive around all day and the car doesnt smoke at all.... But if i kick in the secondarys and when the boost comes on, the car starts to smoke BADLY threw the tailpipe..(blue smoke) to the point you cant see behind you..

I am currenly not running a PCV... so i cant figure out how im getting oil in the cylinders..

Andyone got any ideas?

Done a leakdown on it? What kind, size, and number of breathers? If you're pressurizing the crankcase beside the possibility of pushing oil out the breathers you can push it right past the rings. It's not lifting the dipstick and pushing oil onto the headers is it? No vent lines going into the blower intake piping? If the above checks out also check the tubing coming out of the blower for oil, they can blow seals although you'd likely notice some smoke at cruise also.

Jody

WELTERRACER
04-19-2005, 06:10 PM
I have not done a leakdown test..

I have one breather on one valve cover.. which i was going to vent to the K@N airfilter VIA PCV valve.. (just havent had time)

Car doesnt seem to burn any oil at idle or at part throttle... Only at FUll or 3/4 throttle when boost comes on hard..

Like you stated... I would think the oil would come out the breather and on to the exhaust or pump out the dipstick..

I did recheck the blower oil and it is still full.. I will pull the tube and check for oil there too..

WELTERRACER
04-19-2005, 06:38 PM
O.K.

I checked the blower pressure tube and NO oil in it..(so i guess blower isnt leaking oil)

I then checked the dipstick tube.... It was pushed out about 1/2 and inch (im guessing pressure is pushing it out)

There was some oil on my valvecover and plug wires from oil dripping down from the breather (breather also had oil on it)

Im not sure if there was oil coming out of the dipstick tube or not..

My question is this.... I noticed the smoke coming from the back of the car.. NOT from under the hood like the we think is the cause..

If i add a PCV valve to the valve cover and a hose from it to the Inlet of the Airfilter do you think it will help or just cause the engine to still burn oil!

NOTE: i know for sure there is One cylinder that probobly is getting some blowby because when i had it apart last the cylinder was about .004 more worn than the other 7 cylinders (possibly overbored from machine shop)

camcojb
04-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Every time I've seen a dipstick tube get pushed up there is oil coming out of it. When under throttle going down the road when the oil hits the exhaust it will look like it's coming from the exhaust, tons of smoke coming from under/behind the car.

One breather is nowhere near enough venting for a supercharged engine. I usually don't run a pcv with blower motors but it can work. Without it you need two good breathers minimum with some sort of baffling in the breather tube or valve cover to stop oil from climbing up and out.

Jody

Matt@RFR
04-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Like Jody said, it's either oil smoking off the header(s), and/or you're pushing oil past the rings. Obviously not enough vent surface area, and I seriously doubt a pcv valve is going to flow enough to fix the problem. Besides, you're trying to get oil OUT of the cylinders, not put it back in on purpose! :)

If two breathers doesn't do it, you're next option is to plumb lines from both valve covers to your collectors ("Pan-E-Vac" system), or a vacuum pump.

If you don't want to try and pull a vacuum, you can also build a remote breather tank and plumb it into both valve covers with -10 lines. Overkill, yeah, but there's no such thing as too much venting area in this situation.

You're not running a low tension ring set are you?

WELTERRACER
04-20-2005, 04:22 AM
Great idea guys... THANKS... Will will add another breather to the other valve cover and then add a pcv valve to the other..

THANKS AGAIN..

blownfiveo17
04-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Ik this is an old post but i have the same exact problem with my 88 notch. It wont smoke on start up or under normal driving just when i push it hard. It smokes from the exhaust, but also from underneath the car..