PDA

View Full Version : Ignition help please! Starting problems.

dipren443
01-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Fellas,

Requesting some guidance. Helped my dad install a complete MSD ignition setup in his 67 Cutlass. I will try to paint the whole picture as best as possible.

TDC has been verified several times over. The MSD distributor dropped RIGHT in after removing the stock points dizzy. Rotor returned to the exact same position as on the points unit. When the car wouldn't fire, I swapped all of the plug wires to see if by chance I was 180 out, though I didn't think that was the case. No luck there, returned the plug wires to previous config.

Spark is not an issue. Trust me on this one. I am still convulsing from the jolt (Time to reinsulate those channel lock wire cutters...). The car comes PERILOUSLY close to firing. Is there anything else I can try to get this sucker to kick over??

Nick

Jim Nilsen
01-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Do you have all of the wires from the MSD attached to the correct places? I would be suspect that the ignition switch on wire may not be going to the correct place allowing you to get spark when cranking but not for running. It's the only place I can think to start looking that would be differnet than the points setup.

Reread your instructions carefully and then explain it to a friend what you did and then have them read the instructions to make sure you didn't get confused.

It can take reading instructions to a new level when you have to understand what an engineer thinks you will understand. MSD is a lot better than most for instructions but sometimes it only takes one word or a bad diagram to mess it all up.

You can also call MSD or go on line to the FAQ section and see what others have found for discrepencies.

Goodluck and hopefully someone here will have the right answer for you today as waiting for later is so hard on the desire to here it run.

dipren443
01-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Jim,

That is precisely my concern as well. We went with the MSD only distributor so as to make the wiring a snap. The only existing wiring being utilized is the coil hot. I thought we had an old Chiltons here that would have the factory wiring diagrams, but we haven't had any luck.

There were two wires running to the hot side of the coil on the factory setup. I have tested them both separately and kept the both of them wired to the MSD coil. No luck with either config. I am away from home without any of my own tools and test equipment, so I am kinda clutching at straws.

I will keep trying. I even thought of just running a new lead from the ignition switch to the coil on wire for the MSD, but would really like a factory diagram to verify I am pulling the right wire...

Thanks for your help,
Nick

68nate
01-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Hook up a timing light and see where you're at with the ignition timing while cranking. It sounds like maybe your timing is late- turn the distributor more counterclockwise.

Also make sure you have Battery voltage at the coil (full 12 volts or higher) and at the MSD box. The original harness may have a resisitor wire to lower voltage to the coil.

dipren443
01-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Hook up a timing light and see where you're at with the ignition timing while cranking. It sounds like maybe your timing is late- turn the distributor more counterclockwise.

Also make sure you have Battery voltage at the coil (full 12 volts or higher) and at the MSD box. The original harness may have a resisitor wire to lower voltage to the coil.

I will see if I can get a hold of a meter. I will check that right away. MSD box is definitely ok as I wired directly to the battery.

68nate
01-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Just notice it's an oldsmobile, maybe not counterclockwise to advance timing. Turn it the opposite direction the rotor turns to advance. Sorry.

68nate
01-24-2010, 11:39 AM
I guess that brings up another point- Olds engines the rotor spins counterclockwise. Make sure your firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
COUNTERCLOCKWISE.

dipren443
01-24-2010, 11:41 AM
I guess that brings up another point- Olds engines the rotor spins counterclockwise. Make sure your firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
COUNTERCLOCKWISE.

I will double check that... But I am pretty certain we put them on just how they came off. Ok, time to put the work clothes on. Back with some updates in a few.

dipren443
01-24-2010, 12:26 PM
UPDATE!!! She runs :) Mods can close this thread. Thanks for everyone's help. There was a resistor in the coil hot lead. Ok, time to take her for a spin. Gotta go roast some bias plys. :)