PDA

View Full Version : Project "bad juju" 69 camaro

z06fromhell
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
four years ive had this car and lingered on many websites getting ideas. this by far is my foavorite place to hang out. and since ive never formally introduced myself or my car i thought id share my project with those that have shared so much with me.

my wife located this car originally in 2003. we had been looking for a 69 for some years. then one day she saw the nose of this one sticking out of a little shed but at that time it was not for sale. later in 05 i found out an aquaintence of mine owned it and needed to get rid of it. at that time it had a fresh dark blue paint job, spooled rear end, skinnies and fatties, a 400 small block with dart pro 1 heads, big cam, headers, double pumper, victor jr, turbo 350 and a stall. took about an hour of messing with the carb to get it up and running. we negotiated the deal, put some air in the tires and i drove it the local car wash and cleaned it up and took it home. next morning i pedaled it to work and started the teardown. never thinking to take any pics since i had such a clear idea in my head what i wanted to do. within two days it was stripped on i had welded up a stand to put in on. i made arrangements to take it to commercial coatings in austin to be media blasted. they did a great job and i had it back in a week. my painter really came through for me coming in on saturday and shooting some metal etch on it to keep the rust away. thats about when i started taking pics.

Mr.VENGEANCE
01-22-2010, 04:01 PM
i just had some bad juju about 20 mins ago.. was sweatin and everything.

astroracer
01-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Bad Juju...
Sorry, this is what I think of whenever I hear that term...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/01/abc_juju_chang_090116_main-1.jpg

z06fromhell
01-25-2010, 07:42 AM
what's the connection with the oriental chick?

z06fromhell
01-25-2010, 07:50 AM
here is some more of the scary stuff. it was at this point i started wondering what i had done.......

z06fromhell
01-25-2010, 07:58 AM
while the body was getting mangled, i started on the subframe. welded up seams, ground down the factory splatter, had it sandblasted and powder coated. installed speed-tech control arm top and bottom, powder coated the spindles, turned down the factory hub on my brake lathe to fit inside the c4 rotor, installed speed tech brake brackets, c5 z06 calipers, factory sway bar with energy suspension bushings, 91 iroc steering box with dse 6an adapters, had idler arm drilled out to use 1/2 bolts to mount to subframe. energy suspension motor mounts and for a while considered using the 400 block. that changed.

z06fromhell
01-25-2010, 08:04 AM
then focused my attention, (and funds) to the rear axle. its a moser 9 inch. its actually a little longer than a factory housing to allow the same offset wheel front and rear. i didnt want a fat lip on the back. this way my 17x11's and 17x8's both have the same size front lip. used an auburn 31 spline carrier, 3.70 gears, currie 9+ centersection, currie pinion support and 1350 yoke and all arp studs. i had moser put late model camaro ends on the tubes so i could bolt up ls1 brakes with the internal parking brake. i just swapped sides right to left so they would pull foward instead of backwards. then used the z06 rear calipers and abutements with earls lines.

Mr.VENGEANCE
01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
shes known for having "Bad juju".

z06fromhell
01-25-2010, 12:32 PM
not only did this car need both floors, upper dash panel, and both quarters, but it also needed a tail panel, and trunk. here's some pics.

z06fromhell
01-25-2010, 01:11 PM
after panel replacement i welded in some dse subframe connectors. seam sealed everything. metal etch primered, and extreme liner'ed the complete underside, the inner floors, inner doors, wheelhouses and trunk. then applied dynomat over that. also applied dynomat in the roof and inner door structures. sounds solid!
went to work on wiring up covan dash insert and autometer gauges.
had my freind and coworker build my 4l60e with all the good stuff, transgo shift kit, tci rebuild kit with red clutches, billet servo's beast shell etc.
also got the body back from paint about this time. this wouldve been around jan 2009. painted it 2010 camaro cyber metallic gray.

CruizinKev
01-25-2010, 01:56 PM
looks good! :twothumbs

z06fromhell
01-25-2010, 03:27 PM
engine build was up next. ive been collecting parts for this for a couple years. its a brand new gm lq9 block, arp main and head studs. its been decked, honed. eagle 4inch crank, eagle rods, manly l92 specific pistons and rings. fully weight matched and balanced. comp cam, lifters, pushrods, springs, titanium retainers and timing set. all new gm back cover, timing cover, bolts and seals. nothing us used on this motor! l92 heads, l76 intake and throttle body. ls3 valve covers, new gm coils and brackets. arp header studs, hooker coated headers and engine mount plates. using a gmpp vette accessory drive system and ls3 balancer.

Motown 454
01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Looks great. You have some nice parts stocked up there. Great project.

astroracer
01-25-2010, 06:22 PM
what's the connection with the oriental chick?
That's "Juju" Chang... Good Morning America?

GHOSTDANCER
01-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Great color choice :1st:

1971CHEVELLE
01-26-2010, 07:48 AM
looks very good

z06fromhell
11-26-2010, 11:13 AM
its been a while, and a lot has happened. both in my personal life and with the car. wife graduated college, so ive got more time and money to invest in the car. great to have her around more! that was a long process but worth it.

as far as the car, i put it back together with all new sheetmetal from bel air bob's, set the engine in with hooker plates and energy suspension mounts. g force trans crossmember. ordered up a ricks stainless tank with a bosch 044 pump in the tank. made my own earls braided lines. 8an feed, 6an return. aeromotive regulator and stock ls3 fuel rails for now. kwik performance ac brackets mounted the sanden where i wanted. hooker long tubes fit tight but clear well when used with their brackets. frank at prodigy sent me his gbar with coil overs. fits good, but exhaust clearance is too tight with 3 inch tubes, going to 2.5 exhaust soon.

more to come......

Z06vet
11-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Sounds like a nice build, very similar to mine. I didnt have t do all that sheet metal work though. Youre a little ahead of me.. I hope to fire mine off in the nest few weeks. Waiting on fuel lines.
Scott