PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler for 1st gen Camaro

gui67
01-22-2010, 09:59 AM
What is the bugget for an intercooler for a 67 Camaro?

I would need have one inlet and one outlet. Where are these parts available?

Could you please post pics of your setups?
I already saw some picture of twin inlet intercoolers, but no single. What is it possible to do with the RS hood latch? is it possible to relocate it, or is it possible to keep it?

JamesJ
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Where mine and many other members are from...

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/

gui67
01-23-2010, 09:07 AM
thank you

do you maybe have a picture of the intercooler? what is the core thickness you use
Is it a RS: do you have any interference with the hood lever?

shmoov69
01-24-2010, 06:24 PM
I got my core from Griffin made to my specs and we welded the tanks on and made them. Some pics are on my fquick page.

67 ls1 vert
01-24-2010, 06:46 PM
I have aways wondered, is bigger better? I have the stock one that came with the KB set up. Would I gain anything up sizing to a larger one?

Patrick
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I have aways wondered, is bigger better? I have the stock one that came with the KB set up. Would I gain anything up sizing to a larger one?

Your intercooler is built into intake manifold--so I don't think you can increase the size. However, you may be thinking of the heat exchanger. A larger heat exchanger with better efficiencies would cool the intercooler better thus making for lower air temps. There is room for a larger heat exchanger...however bigger does not always mean more efficient. If it is physically bigger but is not as efficient then you made no gains.

Patrick

67 ls1 vert
01-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks Patrick, I should have been a little more clear. Thats what I was talking about.

Do you find that the stock one that you are running works good?

Patrick
01-25-2010, 05:48 PM
.......Do you find that the stock one that you are running works good?

I live in Orlando...hot as hell in the summertime and the stock unit has worked fine. However, now am I am curious what kind of difference a larger, more efficient heat exchanger would make. Let me know if you find out anything.

Patrick

gui67
01-30-2010, 11:07 PM
how much did you pay yours?
what are the modifications required to use one: removal of the center support?
for the RS cars, what is the sulution for the hood lever?

Burnoutman721
03-01-2010, 08:08 AM
I have a 67 RScamaro and I just bought a D1-SC procharger with the 3core intercooler. Its going on a 350 small block, the intercooler from procharger is 3in thick, i measused from the support to the leaver and i have 4.25in on my RS. so this intercooler should fit perfectly, procharger rates it good up to 900hp. I have seen cars with this setup done, although i have not seen where they run the tubing. My issue is trying to figure out where to pass all the tubing trough, i guess ill just have to wait for the kit to come. By the way the full dimensions for the intercooler are 27x12.5x3

gui67
02-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Did you install your intercooler?
Did you have any problem for the piping with the RS doors?

WOuld you havesome pictures of the install?

DButler
02-03-2011, 11:40 AM
I have a 2-in and 1-out front mount on mine. shoot me your email in a pm and I will send you some pictures. I have quite a few I could send and give you an idea.

67 ls1 vert
02-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I would like to see a few pictures as well if you dont mind.

DButler
02-04-2011, 05:07 AM
PM me your email as it is much easy for me to send you what I have.

DRs 69
02-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Since your sending pics would you mind sending some for me I'll PM you my email. Thanks in advance.

DButler
02-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Guys I will most def. send you all some pics here in a bit. Hope they can help.

gui67
07-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Is the bracket for the hood latch, in front of the radiator needed, or can it be removed?
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/SM8-1.jpg
It will interfere with the intercooler, so I wonder if I can delete it completely or if I should cut some parts to keep it. It also supports the panel in front of the hood, can it distord if I remove the bracket?

Do you have an idea to replace the big hood latch release which will also interfere the intercooler? I would like not to drill holes in the hood and use hood pins. Is it easy to put latches on the side as Larry did?