PDA

View Full Version : shifting suggestions?

6T86SPD
04-19-2005, 09:42 AM
My car was recently finished and it has a ramjet 350 with centerforce clutch and t56 tranny. I have heard terms such as double clutching and what not. Alright i will stop beating around the bush i dont know how to shift good and was wondering if there are any good techniques and how to do them.

Thanks

andrewb70
04-19-2005, 01:11 PM
My car was recently finished and it has a ramjet 350 with centerforce clutch and t56 tranny. I have heard terms such as double clutching and what not. Alright i will stop beating around the bush i dont know how to shift good and was wondering if there are any good techniques and how to do them.

Thanks

Double clutching is an old term used when refering to old transmissions that did not have synchro gears. You would press the clutch in, pull the gear level into neutral, let the clutch out, rev the engine a bit, put the clutch back in and then put it into the gear that you wanted. Those days are long gone. If you want to shift fast, and have faith in your engine and rev limiter, then keep the gas pedal on the floor while you tap the clutch as fast as you can, while at the same time grabing your next gear. Welcome to the world of power shifting.

Andrew

vanzuuk1
04-19-2005, 03:25 PM
With all respect to Andrew I would get some seat time before you powershift yourself into a new top end! Work your way up to it with increasingly forceful but SMOOOOTH shifting. It's like wheelieng a streetbike, you can work your way up to it in small steps and avoid a tragedy.Hope that helps.

JamesJ
04-19-2005, 07:35 PM
One thing you can do is drive in 4th gear, see where your RPMs are then down shift to 3rd without losing any speed. So then you know what speed you rpms are at so when you shift you can put the clutch in raise or lower the rpms to were they should be then you can release the cluthc as fast as you want and it will not be jerky.

toofun
04-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Power shifting, down shifting,double clutching, it all comes down to the same thing. PRACTICE. Dont rush into getting all you can out of your tranny, you may do more harm than good. Really get to know your car first. Drive it easy and just shift normally. Try for smooth transitions between shifting gears with good clutch control. Do this until you can go through the gears smoothly without any jerky clutch movements. You will soon do it so naturally you wont even think about it and will learn the sweet spots of each gear shift just by the sound of the engine and feel of the shifter in your hands. I know some guys that can shift through most of the gears without even using a clutch(yes it can be done ive done it)

Once you get that under your belt THEN you can try powershifting techniques and other tricks of the trade. Smooth coordinated movements between gas, clutch pedal and shifter pull will yield surprising results!!

vanzuuk1
04-20-2005, 02:39 PM
hey toofun thats what I said! I even used the ultra cool "seatime" expression!

6T86SPD
04-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the help and don't get me wrong, I know how to cruise around with a stick but like all guys we want to take it to the track and see what it will run, but before i do that i want to know how to do it right so i dont look like a fool and do something stupid.

vanzuuk1
04-21-2005, 04:29 AM
If you mean 1/4 mile, dont do anything new when you go to the track. start out with your street setup and make a few passes just like you would if you were on a deserted road leaving hard from a red light.its pretty easy to find someone who rented the track for a day and practice. you also dont have the pressure of doing your first pass in front of a crowd of people.You will probably be a second faster after a day of tweaking yourself and the car.Obviously a cool day is best.I used this method to run my bike and i got some good numbers.

toofun
04-22-2005, 04:22 AM
YEAH....what he said.... LOL Sorry Vanukuzi, couldnt help myself.

vanzuuk1
04-23-2005, 09:10 AM
finally something made me laugh today!

Kenova
04-23-2005, 07:40 PM
.............. Welcome to the world of power shifting.

Andrew
There's little in life as good as a well executed power shift. :seizure: It's been too long for me. Embaressing as hell when you blow it though. :hah:
I did my first power shifts in a rental car. A 1973 Toyota Carolla to be exact. Rented it for a weekend. :drive1:
Ken