PDA

View Full Version : Stay with the monoleaf ???

BlueBull
01-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Totally lost in the opinion jungle about stay with the monoleafs or replace them with multileafs I need advice.

I recently removed my old rear for a swap to posi and noticed the left leaf was broken at the front eye. My first thoughts was that I was lucky nothing bad happened.

Anyhow, a purchase of new leafs is actual and I now want to go for multileaf much beacuse of security reasons but also maybe to improve comfort and traction.

I plan to buy a set of Eaton 4 leaf with a spring rate of 103 lbs (original monoleaf is 136 lbs). It seems that all multileaf versions are softer. This type is for a -68 302 camaro. I don't know how this will impact the car handling. Any advice is welcome.

The car is a -67 conv. with a 420hp csb 406 and automatic tranny. The rear will be a 10" 4.10 posi.

mm065
01-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Multi-leafs are always better. As far as I know,your mount brackets on the axle have more shallow pockets compared to the deeper ones on multi-leaf equipped axles. Maybe there's a kit out there that I don't know about, otherwise I'm not sure they can mount up properly to a non-multi leaf axle assembly. Needless to say there is a serious difference between the thickness of a mono and a multi.

ProdigyCustoms
01-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Mono leafs are only good for drag cars. Fior handling you want multi leafs. Restoration leaf spring like the Eatons you are refereing sit way to high. We sell Hotchkis spring with much sucsess

Bryce
01-25-2010, 06:48 AM
what about the fiberglass leafs?

68 SuperRam
01-25-2010, 10:18 AM
What about tranction bars - yes or no - if so what kind?

Happyfunballs
01-25-2010, 11:17 AM
I have a mono-leaf 67 convertible and put 3" drop multi's from DSE on it. I'm now looking for a 12 bolt to put in and finding one with mono perches is tough. Be aware of the ride height differences between mono/multi perches should you decide to replace your rear axle.

chevyhector
01-25-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm currently doing the same project on My 68 Camaro(Medusa). I was given a whole 12 bolt rear end, from a friend that was cleaning out his yard. I love freebies! The only thing is that it does not have any shackles for the leafs springs. I'm still undecided to install a Mono or multi ? What do you recommend for a weekend driver?