PDA

View Full Version : Help confirm this is a scam!

Midwest Performance
04-19-2005, 06:43 AM
I contact a guy through Yahoo auto about his 1969 Mustang that is for sale. This is his reply
Hello there,

I have for sale: 1969 Ford Mustang and i hope to sell it for $10,000.00 So if you are ready to pay the buy it now price, we will deal right now.

So if you are serious intrested please let me know,we will discuse the payment options and may be we can get to a deal! I am a private seller and i sell my car only if you are agree with my conditions.This car is like new, STATE OF THE ART, completely working, no scratches, no dents, never been abused,always well taken care of, low miles, clear US title, manuals, the original documentation included.This price includes shipping costs and the insurance for shipping and you only pay for the money transfer commission when you wire the funds, which is about 4% from the total amount sent. To clear any doubt and to be sure we will avoid any tax:I will declare the shipping as a gift/donation.Note that this is a QUICK SALE, who pays for it gets it, no questions asked, my terms are clear and if you have the money you can have the car.

Waiting for your email.

Thanks for showing interest....

I track the ISP from the E-mail and it's from Bolivia or some place like that.
So I e-mail back

I have someone I want to come inspect the car before purchase. Please
> give me the Address the car is at and we can arrange a time to have it
> inspected. Thanks
His reply
827 Temple View Dr Las Vegas, NV 89110

I am not in the US right now but if you want to go to inspect the car my wife will show you the car.

Thank you.
The e-mails are from a Thomas Martinez [[email protected]]
I think I have heard on this site that this person is a scammer.
I am 99.9% positive this is a scam and have been messing with him.
Can someone confirm the address or that the person is a known scammer.

baz67
04-19-2005, 07:01 AM
It is a good address. It is in a part of Vegas that was developed in the mid 90s. That is all I can do to help. I would check it for you, but I will not be home until early May.

Piet
04-19-2005, 12:43 PM
http://maps.google.com/
You can even click on "Satellite"

Seems to be a valid address.
But do they have a car for sale.... that is another question.

Steve1968LS2
04-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Tell him you will pay cash at the time you pick up the car with the clear title.. run the VIN at the DMV to make sure it isn't hot..

Take armed friends with you when the deal goes down..

Other than that I think it is a scam.. only $10k and shipping is included? He even offers to commit a crime by declaring it a gift/donation..

If it smells like a duck...

madmax
04-19-2005, 04:26 PM
SCAM. Or at least my take. There was a Shelby on ebb for something like 10ka, but the money needed to be wired, and shipped from Germany. I did some digging, because it was worth checking out, found his home phone number through a link to his personal website in ebb, and it turns out someone hijacked his account.

I think this is a variation of the Nigerian 419 (money scam - you know them, "I will split 10$million U.S. if you send $500 to me to confirm your loyalties...") that we have been seeing more and more of lately.

...clear US title

What other kind of title would it have? I hope not a Mexican one.

...payment options and may be we can get to a deal! ...never been abused,always well taken care of

Note poor grammar throughout, plus the bad comma usage (the spacing!)

Most Nigerian 419s have these errors littered throughout the entire message - but they usually come from Nigeria, or some can spoof well enough that I can't decode well enough with my limited computer skills to figure out where they really originated from.

These are just my observations.. but I would still follow up with the guy. You never know.... :)

TitoJones
04-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Tell him we @ ATS will be happy to inspect the car at the shop. We can even meet them @ the house and guide them back here for a full inspection. We are free on Sunday anytime.
Tell them to be free, and we'll meet up. That will freak them out enough to see if you are getting scammed.

Tyler

Andrew McBride
04-19-2005, 05:06 PM
I call scam on this one. The only positive note is he is willing to let you view the car before purchase.

Midwest Performance
04-20-2005, 06:21 AM
Well I attempt to e-mail the guy about having the car inspected and low and behold the e-mail is undeliverable.
I want to thank the guys at ATS for the offer on inspecting the car.

Kevin