PDA

View Full Version : 1981 Grand Prix gbody update

hark-dog
01-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Heres a quick update of my build...its a 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 383ci supercharged, intercooled, and nitrous. It has Spoon upper and lower control arm front and rear, ATS spindles, wilwood (http://www.wilwood.com/) brakes, Hydoboost, Fab 9 rear end with brace house a Strange center..455 gears, Detroit locker, 35spline axles..I was be running a 4L80E TCI Superstreetfighter trans(2.75 first gear ratio,1.57 second, then1.1 and .75). I am running with a Weiand 177 with about 10-12Psi(spinning it kinda fast..hence the giant intercooler, using a AFCO heat exchanger meant for a Ford 500 and a Mez water pump. I have had the car since highschool and its always has been with me in one variation or another. Believe it or not I am not one for pics or documenting the exact progreess of the car but at the harping of a few friends i have takin a few this time. We will start with how the car used to befor about the last 6-7 years...

hark-dog
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
so it was bacially a blown 355 running 6-7 psi,turbo400, with a ford 9.These photos we taking about 6-7 years ago, so after a new house, a break up..2 children and another new house we were at about a year ago.. Sorry have no tear down pics, here are some of ther frame and suspension, doing as much as I can to save coin..

hark-dog
01-20-2010, 10:01 AM
heres the engine back on the frame...we are doing a 10 point cage so i have the option of taking her to the track..most of its life will be street use though.. have some questions for the body men out there though, I am looking to make the front end more of a homologous unit, kinda like the monte ss nose(looks more like one piece), blaking out all the trim and have a HID conversion for the lights, black lenes) mine to me looks like a bunch of pieces bolted together, cannot close off the lower air holes cause my heat exhanger for the intercooler sits there...anyway thats to Mark for SC&C for the help and advice

Bryce
01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
cool. Good progress! what a change.

jackfrost
01-20-2010, 10:37 AM
great project. I think you need a taller motor. ;)

is that SC&C's rear swaybar?

where is the ground effects kit from? is it fiberglass? you could flush mount it, but then you're stuck with it, and it could crack. you might think about leaving it off or finding one that fits better.

hark-dog
01-20-2010, 04:33 PM
the ground effects kit is from www.laureneng.com (http://www.laureneng.com) the rear bar is directly from spohn although SC&C carries them, got the front frame brace and the Lee 670 box from SC&C

6spdmalibu
01-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Looks killer so far.

WS6
01-20-2010, 06:01 PM
I miss my 86 GP LE. I'm going to have to get another gbody GP one day. They were the best looking to me really. The bulging rear quarters really helped set the body off. Mine was just a lowly 3.8v6 but it was so comfortable.

Keep the pics coming. Car's looking great so far.

RobertGP
03-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Lookin good !

irregal83
09-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Thats the most badass GP ive ever seen!! any more pictures or updates?