PDA

View Full Version : how to fix dead steering?

69camarokid
01-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I have a 69 camaro with power steering and i have about 2 inches of dead feel in the steering wheel.

Any ideas on how i go about fixing this?

NOGO
01-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Start by inspecting the condition of your steering coupler, steering box, steering linkage, and alignment.

monteboy84
01-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Go under the car and watch while you have somebody move the wheel back and forth in the dead range, it should become fairly obvious what's loose by watching for movement.

If you have a rag joint in the steering shaft, I'd start by watching that.

LowBuckX
01-19-2010, 01:00 AM
stock box with lots o miles? may need to adjust the slop out of it with the adjuster on the top cover... use search option for instructions..

Heres a good thread to help you https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19901&highlight=adjust+box

MonzaRacer
01-19-2010, 04:01 AM
Adjusting boxes isnt hard just time consuming.
warm up car, use end wrench to crack loose the nut, then if its uses straight blade screwdriver or allen wrench to screw down ,while holding nut in position with wrench, tighten it up 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time. I like to have front wheels off the ground or on alignment turn tables.
When you get close the center of the box should have slightly more resistance to turning over either side of the internal gears.
Readjusting in or out will give best handling, feel, and performance.
A lot of books will give you torque specs, but I have always had to tweak from there.
Oh and when adjusting when you get it where you want back up screw a tad and tighten the screw and lock nut at same time, kind of like adjusting poly locks.