PDA

View Full Version : Hanging 67 Firebird Doors on 68 Body?

GoWings6
01-16-2010, 07:42 PM
1967 Firebird Restoration: I need to place 67 Firebird doors on a 68 Firebird bucket (body), but the 67 has 3-hole hinges and the body mounting plates on the 68 are 4-hole. They say I can easily swap out the pins on the top hinge and make it work (door side would be 67 and the body side would be 68 to fit the body), but they say that I would need to actually change the bottom mounting plate on the 68 body to actually make the transfer possible.

Has anybody done this before?? Can anyone provide tips on removing/replacing the hinge plate and realign with success? Are there other ways to solve my problem?

Thanks,
Mark

ProdigyCustoms
01-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Swaping hinges halves WILL NOT work. You need to put a 67 door post on it, or get 68 door.

GoWings6
01-16-2010, 07:54 PM
I had talked with someone who said they put 68 doors on a 67 based on the process I described. I didn't see it myself, but he said it came out just fine. Based on what you're saying, I can't just replace the pins for the top hinges, but rather I have to replace the 68 door post/plate with 67 door post/plate like I had described on the bottom...correct?

Jim Nilsen
02-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Pull off the kick panel cover and you see what you are in for. You have to remove the keeper for the plate and redo it all to match the 68 hinges. It requires filling holes and making new pieces.You also have to work out the weatherstrip differences too which requires the 68 roofrail trim pieces.

A lot of work to get rid of perfectly good and beautiful vent windows.Unless you are trying to remove every ounce of weight off of the car and just hate the chrome, it's not worth it. JMO.