PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler options

Motorcitydak
01-16-2010, 05:53 PM
I would like to avoid the lift that my car will produce at high speeds so I would really like some sort of spoiler on the deck lid. Something form fitting and tasteful or course but still very important and functional. I would like something bolt on and hopefully not standing more than 6 or so inches off the lid. I would also like it to follow the contour of the rear end instead of something just straight across. Is there anything available that I could modify to fit? Or should I get out the foam and shape my own to be made from fiberglass? This will be for a 1968 Charger. There is a small spoiler on the tail, but it is not enough. I have seen some cars with modified taller spoilers (Pure Vision did one that is not bad) but most are not to my liking.

wellis77
01-17-2010, 07:26 AM
I busted out some cardboard recently to start mocking one up. I hadn't thought about foam and glass but I'll be watching this to see what you do.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/01/IMG_5273-1.jpg

Motorcitydak
01-17-2010, 05:49 PM
What was your plan to build it using cardboard?

I read you can use green floral foam then make the fiberglass piece around that. I was thinking about using a thin piece of foam with a 1/8 aluminum rod pushed thru it for stiffness. I can then lay the glass over if on both sides then glue the, together and put a few pieces of aluminum in it for added stiffness but hopefully not too much weight. I would then make the mount and strut to make it have adjustable pitch. I think the ends would be a piece of aluminum sheet maybe covered in glass too.

zerotofear
01-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Balance front to rear is a trick, the more downforce the better the driver feels. American car makers follow a general aero profile, nose, windshield, rear window,ect. These profiles warrant about 6" at 35* to produce consistent downforce at 50+mph without massaging the body.

Bryce
01-18-2010, 06:43 AM
If you use the floral foam cover it with aluminum foil. The resin with solubilize the foam.

Or find some surfboard foam from a core maker. The usually will give you some leftovers.

autoxcuda
01-18-2010, 07:32 AM
I'd be just as much or more worried about the front at the rear.

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-19-2010, 01:03 PM
If you are still doing any body work and aren't looking to keep it stock you could add some fender extractors like on this car.

wellis77
01-20-2010, 07:06 AM
What was your plan to build it using cardboard?

I read you can use green floral foam then make the fiberglass piece around that. I was thinking about using a thin piece of foam with a 1/8 aluminum rod pushed thru it for stiffness. I can then lay the glass over if on both sides then glue the, together and put a few pieces of aluminum in it for added stiffness but hopefully not too much weight. I would then make the mount and strut to make it have adjustable pitch. I think the ends would be a piece of aluminum sheet maybe covered in glass too.

My plan is to mock it up in cardboard, use the cardboard as a template, bend it out of sheet and weld it to the trunk. I've seen a few different ways of doing it and am not set on this particular way of building it. For now I was just mocking up for the look and now will work on the construction design. I like the fiberglass idea but may want something that is part of the trunk lid. Options are open though. I like your idea and will keep an eye on this thread.

monteboy84
01-22-2010, 07:36 AM
If you use urethane foam you can lay glass right on it, then hollow it out, or just keep the foam for structural rigidity. You can also finish your prototype as a plug, then make a mold from it so that you can reproduce the spoiler in fiberglass, or even carbon fiber. This is the most time-consuming method, but it's the best way to get a high-quality, lightweight part.