PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my project

Woody
04-18-2005, 04:15 PM
I registered a while ago, but never posted pictures of my car. I have recently been upgrading/updating the front suspension and engine compartment and just got the car on the road again so I thought I would post some pictures. Next project is the rear suspension.

Bill Howell
04-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Welcome aboard Woody. I like the clean look. Nice car :icon996:
What upgrades are you planning out back? Keep us updated.

zbugger
04-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Looks great!!! What have you done so far? We're kinda like the IRS here. We like an itemized description. Thanks a bunch and we won't be showing up at your house any time soon to check for ourselves!!!

Woody
04-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Bill and Allen thanks for the welcome.

Allen, the front end was just completely rebuilt. I used DSE control arms and DSE 2" drop springs, all new tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, Bilstein shocks, Hotchkiss 1 1/8" hollow sway bar and rebuilt steering box from a 3rd generation Z-28. Also installed Baer 13" Track system which required new wheels and tires. The wheels are Wheel Vintique Billet Rallye 245/45/17 up front and 255/45/17 in back. I think I could have gone with 275s in back but I was concerned about rubbing and did not want to take any chances.

Prior recent upgrades include PRC aluminum radiator with Spal electric fan, March Serpentine system and Covan's Classic Dash with Autometer gauges.

Bill, I am assembling parts for the rear suspension upgrade which will include DSE dropped leaf springs, Global West subframe connectors, Bilstein Shocks and a new posi rear end.

ViperBlue68
04-19-2005, 03:59 PM
:cool: Car looks great! I like the rally wheels and you cant go wrong with a blue with white stripes first gen (not that I'm biased or anything) oh and welcome to the site :cheers:

Woody
04-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the welcome JT. I really like your car too. Nice color choice!! Your interior looks fantastic.

Rybar
04-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Nice car, really clean look. I like it!

colt zantop
04-19-2005, 08:34 PM
sweet ride! I like the clean look with the larger vintage wheels. I also am planning my rear suspension right now....not sure what I want to do yet....

keep us updated with pics!!!

trapin
04-20-2005, 05:25 AM
Woody...thanks for alerting me to this post. Do you have any additional side view pictures of the car? Maybe closer shots of the wheels? I am really leaning toward selling my Billet Specialties HP-25's and going with those Billet Rally's. They just have that awesome 'sleeper' look to them.

Woody
04-20-2005, 06:24 AM
Rybar and Colt, thanks. Looks like you guys have awesome cars.

Tony, here are a couple more shots. Let me know if you want any other views or need closer views, its no problem to go take some more shots.

I spent a lot of time trying to find pictures of cars with those wheels, because I was not sure if I would be happy with them. I knew I liked the look of the 15" rallye wheels, but I was unsure of how the 17" size would look. You may remember receiving an e-mail a few months back asking you about your rendering which showed the Wheel Vintiques wheels. That was me trying to get more information on those wheels. Anyway, I am very happy with how the wheels look and glad that I decided to go with them.

Andrew McBride
04-20-2005, 06:48 AM
that car is awesome. great work

Blitz
04-20-2005, 06:55 AM
I am Definitely loving those wheels too. Good choice. Very clean car. Are they made in 18's?

trapin
04-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks Woody. They look great. How close would you say the powdercoating is to the original GM silver? Those look a little darker than the original color. Or maybe it's the shade that's doing it.

Woody
04-20-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks Andrew

Blitz, yes they make an 18" wheel

Tony, I just looked at my old 15" rallye wheels and I don't know if the paint is the original GM silver, but the powdercoating on the 17" wheels is lighter and a solid color. It is fairly close but not an exact match. The 15" wheels seem to have a slight metallic finish and are a darker silver. If you like I can try to take a picture with the 15" wheels next to the new wheels.

trapin
04-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Woody. If it's not too much trouble, that would be great.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

Woody
04-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Ok Tony, here you go. After comparing more closely, I would say the powdercoat on the 17" wheel is more of a grey color and is not a very close match to the silver paint on the 15" wheel. I also notice that the slots in the 17" wheel are much larger than those in the 15" wheel. Hope this helps.

trapin
04-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Yeah...I guess I didn't notice the slots being bigger. Still, they look OK. I guess it would make sense for them to be bigger being that the wheel center is bigger. It looks good to me.

If it bothers me enough I guess I could just scuff the powdercoat with a scotchbrite pad and then repaint it with a can of the original stuff from Classic Industries. Although it's gonna feel funny painting a $350 wheel.

Thanks again Woody. I'll keep you posted as to which direction I go in.

Rybar
04-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Three friends of mine up here have just got the 20" Front & Rear ralleys. The cars look pretty sick. You should see them.

Two 69's are running them and one 68 is as well.

CAMAROBOY69
04-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Woody, Really nice, clean looking car. I like the sleeper look since its not something we see very often.

ViperBlue68
04-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Three friends of mine up here have just got the 20" Front & Rear ralleys. The cars look pretty sick. You should see them.
Two 69's are running them and one 68 is as well.

Sorry Woody not trying to hijack your post :angel: .... Rybar do you think you could get some specifics on the 68 with the 20" rally wheels? as far as back spacing,tire size, and if they took any modifications to fit... oh and PICS would be even better!! Thanks in advance! :cheers:

trapin
04-20-2005, 01:12 PM
20's are too big for me. I would be interested in seeing what it looks like though.

Rybar
04-21-2005, 09:17 AM
There is a pic posted here: http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=864

E-mail Sandro and he should have the info you are looking for.