PDA

View Full Version : Ignition mounted too close to head unit ????

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-16-2010, 04:45 AM
I see a thread about mounting your battery too close to your head unit. What about mounting your ignition box/coil too close to your head unit.? Any issues here?? I was planning on making a mount for behind my glovebox for my MSD box, coil and Head unit. Sort like what joeelutz made for just his ignition system. Any thoughts ???

OhioProto
01-16-2010, 07:51 AM
yes, ignition modules can play havoc on audio parts....the high voltages = high EMI..the pulsing making it al that more annoying...the classic example of this is 70s vettes.....the radio ends up being like 6 inches from the dist....and since it's a fiberglass car, there's nothing to really shield it.....most newer systems you can get away with one in the glovebox if the radio is in the stock location, but i wouldn't suggest putting them much closer than that......if any issues do pop up, you can usually get past them by playing with the location of the grounds.

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks. That's what I figured. Just wanted to get some feedback before I did something stupid down the road.