PDA

View Full Version : new guy needing advice.

69lsxamx
01-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I have a 1969 amc amx I was planing to intall a 03 cobra irs. But I havent decided what I need to do on the front. If i dont upgrade the front installing the irs will be pointless in my opinion. The car will be used for long road trips, autocross, maybe a little track use, and some drag strip use. Im not wanting anything that looks shinny and pretty just something that works well. I've looked at mustang 2 kits and a g machine kit that Chris Alston's Chassisworks sells but im undecided maybe i should just sell the cobra irs and use a complette c5 corvette drivetrain. I say that because of the price of the g machine kit. I can almost get a C5 chassies.

Does anyone have any sugustions on what I should do?

asifnyc
01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
if you get a c5 chassis it's going to be a lot of work to adapt it to the amx. with the chris alston kit don't they take your measurements and then build you a frame to fit? then you just drop your unibody on the new frame. that seems like the better way to go to me... whatever you decide I'll be watching closely!

oh yeah and... :pics2:

69lsxamx
01-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I think they do build complete frame's but what I was looking at was just a cross member upper and lower control arms rack& pinion spindles and wilwood brakes. I have some pictures of the car in its current state I'll post up soon. its nothing great right now.

ProdigyCustoms
01-12-2010, 08:10 PM
The Corvette drivetrain will be a PIA. What is the track width on that car, pretty narrow if I remenber right. Might make putting a C6 front under it difficult. Track width may be the decision maker.

asifnyc
01-12-2010, 10:50 PM
chris alston, art morrison and others are making "custom fit" chassis now. so, instead of trying to adapt a front clip from somewhere and a rear suspension from somewhere else just get a full frame made to the amx dimensions. that's what I'd do if I was willing to drop the cash. you'll get a great front/rear suspension, can specify your ride height, track width, etc. then you just hack out the frame rails from the unibody and mount the body on the new frame (I'm over simplifying somewhat but you get the idea). good luck!

69lsxamx
01-13-2010, 05:50 PM
getting a custom built chassis would be nice but I dont have the funds for that. The corvette is wider than the amx. There is a guy in memphis that put everything from a corvette in a honda civic. It's called the civette. There's some videos on you tube of it. He had to narrow the front and rear suspension 4 inches to make it fit. I'm sure i'll have to do the same if you decided to go that route.