PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen vs 3rd gen camaro steering box??

BuddyP
04-17-2005, 06:21 PM
What is the basic difference between the 2 power steering box's? Is there one that is better than the other to use on 1st gen Camaro? I want a tight ratio around 2.5 turns lock to lock.

Reckn8
04-17-2005, 07:02 PM
For that you should go with the variable ratio box and a quick ratio pitman arm. I'm not sure if it will get it down to 2.5 but it should be close.

David Pozzi
04-17-2005, 08:25 PM
2nd gen box is 14 to 1 ratio, the later 70's boxes had stiffer feel than early boxes. Variable ratio boxes were discontinued in the late 70's in favor of constant ratio.

Third gen boxes have metric ports with O ring seal, Z/28, TA, IROC have 12.7 to 1 ratio.

A 2nd gen box with long pitman and shortest outer steering arms will give you very close to 2.5 turns lock to lock.

jeffandre
04-18-2005, 08:30 AM
What is the basic difference between the 2 power steering box's? Is there one that is better than the other to use on 1st gen Camaro? I want a tight ratio around 2.5 turns lock to lock.

Many years ago a pro box builder (Nascar, Winston Cup, show cars, etc.) told me that it would be easier and cheaper for me to replace my 2nd Gen box with a 2rd Gen quick ratio box than to have him build me one. He told me to find a 3rd Gen that had the special-order quick ratio box, and I found one with less than 20k miles. Installed it has 2.25 turns lock to lock, all I had to do was use my original pitman arm and have the supply hose made with a metric fitting to fit the newer box.

WS6
04-19-2005, 05:16 PM
i believe he was referring to a "Z" box. they were availible in IROCs and GTAs not all of them had that box fi i remember right, but if you find an IROC or GTA look at the steering box. it will have a "Z" stamped in the side of it. there is a company that sells these boxes already rebuilt with adapters so that you dont have to have custom lines made. email me if you want me to dig it up. i have it somewhere.

David Pozzi
04-19-2005, 09:15 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

graycamaro
06-03-2005, 11:51 PM
I too have a box off of a 3rd gen I plan using on my 80 camaro. It is the quick ratio off of an IROC Z. payed 50 bucks for it and a 1 1/4 sway bar from a TA along with some other small misc. pieces. hydraulic lines shouldnt be a problem just find a good parts store that can make a custom hydraulic line or use the lines and pump off of the 3rd gen.

joeljet
06-04-2005, 01:06 PM
hey david (or anyone else)if i get the 3rd gen box (w/metric fittings) what are the odds that an ls1 power steering pump and hoses will hook up? im going ls1 anyway. thanx joel

TPI Monte SS
06-04-2005, 07:01 PM
The quick ratio 3rd Gen box should be stamped "XH". While they will give you around 2.5 turns lock-to-lock, they also have different internal stops that limit travel somewhat. They did this from the factory to keep the larger 16" wheels from hitting the steering stops.

David Pozzi
06-04-2005, 08:50 PM
I'll bet the LS1 pump will work.