PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

redressonance
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's?

I plan on getting some new tires on my c-5 Coys for my second gen Camaro. (245/40x18 and 275/40 X18)

I live in Emeryville, CA near San Francisco and the tires would mostly be used for city driving and hopefully some Auto-X

I was thinking of getting them though TireRack for $1042.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

-Alonso

DriverzInc
01-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Alonso,
Bridgestones are good tires. I put them up with the Nittos we use so much, but the Nittos are WAY cheaper. If you want, we can quote you some tires, and beat TireRack for you. Give us a shot at it, would love to win your bis.

866-694-5940

wmhjr
01-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Just a few comments. I have some Nitto NT05's that I got from Jon, and they look great. Haven't had a chance to really try them out yet so I can't yet speak to performance. I've never had RE-11s, but I HAVE had Potenza S03 Pole Positions on one of my BMWs in the past. That tire was awesome. I was running S03s and had to replace them. I tried another (can't even remember what I tried) tire. Think it was a Pirelli but can't say for sure. I can recall on the M3 right after the new tires, I came through a sweeping turn that the M3 could normally hold like a magnet through 90mph and never ever blink. With the new tires, the rear end started getting loose at around 60mph. I then noticed a lack of stability in a few different spots, so I returned then the next day and put S03s back on. Through the same turns? Back to 90 feeling like I was on rails. If either the RE-11s or the NT05s are ANYTHING like the now discontinued S03, then they are killer tires. I do agree with Jon that the Pole Positions were not cheap. But they were really worth it - especially on track days!

Merlin
01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
You can ask Mike Maier about the re-11. He won the last Goodguys event at Pleasanton in his '66 mustang. He just beat Mary by a couple of tenths. Mary was on Kumho xs in her Camaro. I personally run the re-11 on my racecar, street touring class. I love them, but the competition for the latest, extreme performance street tire is fierce!

Cliff
'70 Chevelle

redressonance
01-06-2010, 09:10 PM
wmhjr, having the car drive like it's on rails is all I could hope for :)

Merlin, thanks for the contact! I just now e-mailed Mike to ask him about his experience.

I know that performance wise this tire seems to be praised by many, but would you feel unsafe driving it every day even in wet conditions?

-Alonso

wmhjr
01-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Again, I've heard the NT05s I got handle very well also, and I don't know about the newer Potenzas. But the S03s were great in wet conditions - at least as compared to any other performance tire.

Merlin
01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Alonso, at full depth the re-11 would be fine. We have our 'stone shaved, so we use toyo r1r @ full tread for rain events. You have to come out and watch us auto-x. The season starts on Feb 7th at Oakland.
www.sfrscca.com

Cliff
'70 Chevelle

redressonance
01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Merlin,

I think I'll take you up on that offer :) I'm very interested in being a part of the SF auto X group and now that I'm getting my car back from the guys at East Bay Muscle Cars, what better way to celebrate than take it out for a couple of laps.

-Alonso

RYU
01-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Oh, I will miss my S03s so much. I only have about 50% tread left in the front.

Look into the Falken Azenis. I don't have first hand experience but I hear chatter about that tire all the time in terms of value and road holding ability.

MonzaRacer
01-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Hey Merlin how in the heck do you ever get Toyo's to stick in rain, I have yet to find any Toyo that has dry traction, And Yokohamas are just as sad.
Had guys when I worked for BFRS service shop come on and buy Potenzas and absolutely love them over oyos and Yokos. I am gonna have to run Nittos on my Caprice and Monza due to size issue it looks like. Would have loved to get RE960AS on m y Monza but oh well.

Merlin
01-11-2010, 08:05 AM
It is the new toyo r1r tires, that is popular in the street touring classes.
If it rains on our first season opener, I'll run these Toyo.

Cliff