PDA

View Full Version : Looking for details on fabbing a t56 crossmember

rmadsen
04-16-2005, 11:02 AM
I am trying to do a budget T56 swap and I think I finally have everything in line now except for the crossmember. I know there are some available from weir, ats and others but they are all a bit pricy. Does anyone have or know where there are some good details on fabricrating one? I know that there are people out there that have done it but I just cant seem to find the details and photos.

Thanks

Richz68
04-16-2005, 06:56 PM
:naughty: Robin,

Do you have your clutch/flywheel parts taken care of? If you are mating the T56 to a SBC older than 1986 you will need to address those first ($$$$ for a older block).

If you are using a one piece rear main seal motor or a LT1 you have it "made in the shade" concerning clutch/flywheel compatibility.

Don't forget the bracket for the firewall to mount the clutch master cylinder. You will also need to fabricate the linkage to your original style pedals. Some guys use a '82-'92 Camaro pedal assembly instead of reto-fitting your originals for the hydraulic configuration.

Have you converted your tailhousing to use a mecahnical Speed-O?

As far as the crossmember goes all I really know so far is that it starts out as a TH400 crossmember and is cut and reconfigured to match the mounting pad on the T56.

Remember: Once all of it is installed and the angle is right you will need to get a driveshaft either made or shorten your existing unit. :guilty:

Although it seems the the words "T56" and "budget" cannot be mentioned in the same sentence if you are a thrifty shopper and land some deals it can be done! :icon996:

zuess4u
04-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Robin,

Do you have your flywheel/clutch parta taken care of? If you are mating the T56 to anything older than 1986 you will need to address those first.

If you are using a one piece rear mani seal motor or a LT1 you have it "made in the shade" concerning clutch/flywheel compatibility.

Don't forget the bracket for the firewall to mount the clucth master cylinder or the linkage to your original style pedals. Some use '82-'92 Camaro pedals instead of reto-fitting your originals for the hydraulic configuration.

Have you converted your tailhousing to use a mecahnical Speed-O?

As far as the crossmember goes all I really know so far is that it starts out as a TH400 crossmember and is cut and reconfigured to match the mounting pad on the T56.

Remember: Once all of it is installed and the angle is right you will need to get a driveshaft either made or shorten your existing unit. :guilty:

Although it seems the the words T56 and budget cannot be in the same sentence if you are a thrifty shopper and land some deals it can be done! :icon996:

I THINK I WILL BE SHOWING EVERYONE THE CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE, MATTING ANY YEAR SBC.....STAY TUNNED, OR READ SOME OF MT PAST POSTS IN THIS SECTION FOR IDEAS. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET IT DONE FASTER THEN WE ARE PROGRESSING.

rmadsen
04-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Rich,
I am in the process of closing a deal for a ls1 T56, clutch, and bellhousing. I am going to be using the McLeod adapter allowing me to bolt up to my existing bellhousing and keep the mechanical clutch setup. I was planning to get whiteface autometer guages anyway so I was thinking I would just bite the the bullet and get an electronic speedo now. Hopefully I haven't overlooked anything critical in all my figuring.

73novaguy
04-17-2005, 05:47 AM
I know a couple Madsen's from around here in Wisconsin! Any relation? Sorry for the off topic post! Just curious!

rmadsen
04-17-2005, 06:59 AM
Zues,
I looked up your old posts. I am using an LS1 T56 would your work still be aplicable? I'm also not sure that it would be cheaper that the Mcleod setup. It'll only be about $250 for the adapter with bearing retainer and the pilot bushing extender. As I understand it since I allready have a 26 spline clutch all I should have left is the crossmember and shortening the driveshaft.

Justin,
Not that I know of. I thinks its a pretty common last name for people of scandinavian decent. My dad has a lot of cousins though and many of them are around the midwest so I suppose its possible.

Richz68
04-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Robin,

Here you go man!!!

T56 Crossmember story in CarCraft (http://carcraft.com/howto/1061/index1.html)