PDA

View Full Version : GTO suspension...kinda lost

DM03
12-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Hey guys, new here. I have a 1968 GTO with a 400 AND Muncie 4spd. Right now it is ripped down to the frame in a 1 car garage im renting form an old lady (im a 23 year old marine with limitied resources haha). Originaly the intent was to build a badass street car with drag race roots. However now i have decided to go for the pro touring style because it looks awsome and i plan to have fun driving it. Im torn on what to do with the rear suspension. First i thought a 4 link set up like the comp engineering magnum series, but then advised against it because i was told it is just for going straight. So now i am considering the Hotchkis TVS system. I want to run coilovers on all 4 corners. Right now im pretty lost in what application to use. Would a 4 link benefit my car as far as rigidity and handling, or do i go the other way. Thanks for taking the time to read this, i appriciate the help. If you need any more info please ask. -Daniel

wmhjr
12-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Call one of our sponsors - Marcus - at SCandC.com

TitoJones
12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
The Hotchkis suspension won't fix anything wrong with the poor geometry that your suspension is plagued with. My advice? Call either Speedtech or SC&C and get the best stuff on the market. You will be happy you did.

Tyler

DM03
12-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys for the help and resourcing. Still a bit lost, but I am going to call both companys and do some more research on the subject. What are some of you guys doing with your GM A bodies?

Roadbuster
12-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Welcome to the site! I have Mark's suspension under my 68 GTO:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/03/08153NK30626-1.jpg

ProdigyCustoms
12-30-2009, 06:52 PM
We have 4 brands of suspension products we sell and install in our projects for your car.

Speedtech has a killer system that we are installing on a 67 GTO that converts the rear to a coil over and has a Articulink bar that has a bearing of sorts in it that helps the bar move through its range without binding. Combined with their front control arms, tall spindles, and sway bars runs in the $4700 range.

DSE has a similar package with swivel link rear arms and coil over conversion, front upper and lower arms, new tall spindles, Sway bars and is about $4700 also.

Hotchkis has a system with their TVS kit that includes Boxed rear arms and adjustable uppers, Coils springs, Sway bars, add their geomtry corrected upper arms with extended ball joint drop, their lowers, shocks, this all list for $3800 and is on sales though the weekend for $3050.

You mentiond tight budget so I assume the Hotchkis stuff is closer to your budget. Any of these sytems will do what your looking to do.

We also have Air Ride Street Challenge package I need to mention, but since you said budget I did not list int in the top 3 as it is a $6800 set up

MonzaRacer
12-31-2009, 12:55 AM
Another possibility would be a good rear control arm setup then add in a set of rear Air Springs from Air Ride.
I got the rear springs and used individual lines and manually filled them, while I was going to add in solenoids later.
Honestly it works, and then you buy more stuff later on.
My 71 Monte had great launch, awesome ride, and who would think the trunk of a 71 Monte had room for 4 blocks 5 sets of heads, misc cranks , rods and pistons.
It rode great for such a load of parts.
And the handling was off the chart for just a set of rear air springs.
All you need is a good set of tubular or boxed control arms, set up for a sway bar, good shocks then upgrade the uppers to adjustable.
Honestly I completely understand about super low budgets, as my next 2 cars are gonna be on the low budget yet I hope to get maximum results.
AS for the front Give Marcus a call at SC&C, team that up with a set of good springs for now, upgrade later as cash gets better to a ShockWave setup from Ridetech to match the CoolRide rear springs, use double adjustable rear shock from Ridetech.
Upgrade the brakes with parts from Kore 3 and some Corvette brakes. I have a source on replacement Corvette wheels, big brakes can be had in 3 flavors big, bigger and huge by large, depending on which wheels you go with diameter wise.

DM03
12-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks again for all the help guys...its really appriciated. Im doing some research on the air shocks. What parts do i need to use to convert to corvette brakes? Im going to use 18" wheels

Hotchkis
01-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey guys, new here. I have a 1968 GTO with a 400 AND Muncie 4spd. Right now it is ripped down to the frame in a 1 car garage im renting form an old lady (im a 23 year old marine with limitied resources haha). Originaly the intent was to build a badass street car with drag race roots. However now i have decided to go for the pro touring style because it looks awsome and i plan to have fun driving it. Im torn on what to do with the rear suspension. First i thought a 4 link set up like the comp engineering magnum series, but then advised against it because i was told it is just for going straight. So now i am considering the Hotchkis TVS system. I want to run coilovers on all 4 corners. Right now im pretty lost in what application to use. Would a 4 link benefit my car as far as rigidity and handling, or do i go the other way. Thanks for taking the time to read this, i appriciate the help. If you need any more info please ask. -Daniel

Autox video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTWElvBiClQ)

Daniel -

Thanks for looking into the Hotchkis TVS (http://www.hotchkis.net/tvs_system_196870_gm_abody_w_big_block.html) for your project. While there's a system on the market for every budget, our system does work extremely well, and thanks to our new lower prices (Frank at Prodigy's price is a really good deal) our system is a great bolt-on option for someone who wants dramatically improved performance and value.

When you cut through the talk and hype, the vast majority of pro-touring car owners do 99% of their driving on the street and only a few track events per year. With that in mind one should also consider overall ride comfort and drivability.

Another thing is to find out where different company's parts are made. All of our suspension systems are designed, track tested and manufactured to work as systems in the USA, and as Prodigy mentioned, our A-arms are geometry corrected.

In the recent Super Chevy Suspension Shootout, where the best suspension manufacturers in the aftermarket were asked to participate, we had the fastest Chevelle in the autocross - and the only station wagon (a customer car with stock slow-ratio steering).

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/01/sucp_1001_27nitto_tire_suspension_handli-1.jpg

Give us a call, we'd love to talk to you about your project.

ponchopwr70
01-07-2010, 06:33 AM
I autocross my car and hopefully will be going to Limerok this year. Im running mostly what Marc at SC&C sells. He knows A-Body cars better than anybody and can help you pick the parts you want based on your budget and needs. Everytime I talk to him about another part I'm considering, if its not worth it he will tell me not to buy it instead of just selling a product and making money. Do a search check out my car and you will find whats right for you.

pitts64
01-25-2010, 07:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWm6PUGpfVU

twolfinger
01-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Here is what I did\doing on my 67 Buick GS400 on a super tight budget:

Front:
77 Trans Am 1.25" front sway bar - $25 - Craigslist
SPC adjustable uppers - SC&C -
Tall Upper and Lower Ball Joints - SC&C
Billstein Shocks - all 4 corners - ebay(mock up only, never used) $100
Eibach ProKit lowering springs - $150
Converted from Front Drum to LS1 Disc
- LS1 calipers and baskets, with rotors - ebay - $75
- Machine work to machine front hub to fit in rotors and machine spindle to allow for level attachment of LS1 custom bracket - $75
- Custom Brackets for attaching - $50
Monte Carlo SS Steering Gear 2.5 lock to lock - $30 - Craigslist
Tom Lee steering gear conversion kit for A-body - $85

Rear:
Billstein shocks - above
EIback springs - above
Deciding between UMI(UMI web site) double adjustable uppers with spherical\roto joints on both sides and the Spohn(SC&C) of the same setup - $185
UMI double adjustable lowers with roto joints - $200
Deciding between Hotchkis, Spohn, etc.. 1" swaybar - $150 or Spohn\SC&C pro-touring sway bar - $395
LS1 disc brake setup - $80 - ebay
LS1 conversion bracket - $50 - BPR hotrod

I primarily want a car that will handle like a modern day sports car and the power of a muscle car. Will mostly be street driven and will occassionally drag(3-4 times a year) and autocross(3-4 times a year?) As you can see, budget is doable. Do it over time. Start with uppers and add lowers later, start with front and do rear later, etc........

93Polo
01-27-2010, 07:12 AM
We have 4 brands of suspension products we sell and install in our projects for your car.

Speedtech has a killer system that we are installing on a 67 GTO that converts the rear to a coil over and has a Articulink bar that has a bearing of sorts in it that helps the bar move through its range without binding. Combined with their front control arms, tall spindles, and sway bars runs in the $4700 range.

DSE has a similar package with swivel link rear arms and coil over conversion, front upper and lower arms, new tall spindles, Sway bars and is about $4700 also.

Hotchkis has a system with their TVS kit that includes Boxed rear arms and adjustable uppers, Coils springs, Sway bars, add their geomtry corrected upper arms with extended ball joint drop, their lowers, shocks, this all list for $3800 and is on sales though the weekend for $3050.

You mentiond tight budget so I assume the Hotchkis stuff is closer to your budget. Any of these sytems will do what your looking to do.

We also have Air Ride Street Challenge package I need to mention, but since you said budget I did not list int in the top 3 as it is a $6800 set up
What is meant by articulink bar?

Do you think there is room to run a Watts link with the coil overs? Are they mounted in front of are behind the axle?

Pics?

Thanks,

gearheads78
01-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Sc&c hands down for bang for the buck

I have most of the stuff that twolfinger has with a few changes.

claytonisbob
01-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Here is what I did\doing on my 67 Buick GS400 on a super tight budget:

Front:
77 Trans Am 1.25" front sway bar - $25 - Craigslist
SPC adjustable uppers - SC&C -
Tall Upper and Lower Ball Joints - SC&C
Billstein Shocks - all 4 corners - ebay(mock up only, never used) $100
Eibach ProKit lowering springs - $150
Converted from Front Drum to LS1 Disc
- LS1 calipers and baskets, with rotors - ebay - $75
- Machine work to machine front hub to fit in rotors and machine spindle to allow for level attachment of LS1 custom bracket - $75
- Custom Brackets for attaching - $50
Monte Carlo SS Steering Gear 2.5 lock to lock - $30 - Craigslist
Tom Lee steering gear conversion kit for A-body - $85

Rear:
Billstein shocks - above
EIback springs - above
Deciding between UMI(UMI web site) double adjustable uppers with spherical\roto joints on both sides and the Spohn(SC&C) of the same setup - $185
UMI double adjustable lowers with roto joints - $200
Deciding between Hotchkis, Spohn, etc.. 1" swaybar - $150 or Spohn\SC&C pro-touring sway bar - $395
LS1 disc brake setup - $80 - ebay
LS1 conversion bracket - $50 - BPR hotrod

I primarily want a car that will handle like a modern day sports car and the power of a muscle car. Will mostly be street driven and will occassionally drag(3-4 times a year) and autocross(3-4 times a year?) As you can see, budget is doable. Do it over time. Start with uppers and add lowers later, start with front and do rear later, etc........

This is the way to do it on a budget for sure. Basically same avenue I went down, but I ended up doing ATS spindles and C6 brakes on the front.

ProdigyCustoms
01-27-2010, 08:26 AM
The Articulink bar has a bearing in the bar that allows the bar to rotate as the arms go through the motion, helping eliminate most of the bind. We are installing a set in a 67 GTO this week. Pictures coming soon.