PDA

View Full Version : 73 Camaro Coil over ?

Venom73
12-26-2009, 07:34 PM
I want to get my front end a lot lower than stock. Everything up front is stock and rebuilt with new parts. This was by the previous owner. Would the QA1 cront coil over setup drop it enough to give tires a "tucked" look. Or at least close. If so, which kit would I need for a 73 with a 350? Thanks
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?Ne=2&searchType=MkMdlYrSearch&langId=-1&storeId=10001&N=1518054%2b4294966892&catalogId=10002&redirect=false

LowBuckX
12-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Kit with the 1700-1900 pound rate should be correct the 2100-2300 should be for big block... I dont like the way these are sold. I dont care what they want for a specific car weight I want the spring rate I want not what they think I may need.

BTW QA1 them selves told me to not use this system but use a true coil over set up..

As for adjusting a coilover for ride height you can adjust them from way to low to way to high.. You can find your perfect somewhere in there I think..

Venom73
12-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the reply, why did they tell you not to use it. What is the point in making them and what is the use if they tell you something else?

Venom73
12-27-2009, 01:00 AM
And what did you go with?

LowBuckX
12-27-2009, 07:01 PM
I havent started the front yet it was a consideration I had to mull over when deciding the rear coil over. As for why they said what they said I dont know their tech is a matter of fact type person and I just took his word.

79T/Aman
12-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Well I've mentioned this a number of times, conical coil overs are one of the biggest marketting victories of the past 10 years but a disservice to the enthusiasts, a coil over shock must have the spring compress in a liniar motion as to minimize load on the shock body, this can only be accomplished if both ends of the spring are part of the shock assembly, but with the top of the shock fixed in the frame pocket the spring is side loaded and bows, this is compounded due to the greater diameter of the top of the spring (acts as a lever), ever noticed the spring rate available for 5" springs are higher than 5.5 springs the larger the top of the spring the more lever effect it has!!
another misconception, coil overs don't automatically allow you to run the front in the weeds, shock travel MUST be taken into account, about suspension geometry!? and a host of other related issues.