PDA

View Full Version : NYC Commuter advice

Boatmark
12-23-2009, 10:45 AM
I am considering a job that would require working in the Hunts Point section of the Bronx. I have been looking at mapquest and on paper (ok, computer screen) it looks like you can go pretty far to the north in NY/CT, or over the GW bridge into Jersey. Of course it doesn't take into account traffic. I am from Florida and have dealt with the city and traffic, but would prefer a more suburban area.

The scheduling and location do not seem to lend themselves well to doing the train / subway thing. So it seems like driving is the answer.

I was hoping someone can give me some real world advice on how far out you can go to find a nice area, and not lose your mind commuting. Say an hour or less average taking into consideration it probably wouldn't be at peek times . . . probably 11am in / 8pm out.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Damn True
12-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Motorcycle.

You can split lanes inside the 5 buroughs. It's the only way to fly unless you have public transport that gets you near your destination.

HotRodKush
12-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Hunts Point is a rough area, what sort of work are you doing there? Westchester is about 10-15 minutes away on the Hutchison River Parkway or I95 - it's suburbia USA there. I grew up in New Rochelle which is about 20 minutes from Hunts Point. If you go further north, property and rent becomes much cheaper and it's still a beautiful place to live. If you're looking for another state, Jersey is near by but you're then involving bridges and serious NY traffic. You DO NOT want to sit on the GW bridge every day, believe me. I'd look in NY, westchester area, even upper westchester if you want to keep costs down.

Boatmark
12-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks. The job I am looking at is a non-profit youth thing. Is that twenty minutes to New Rochelle including traffic?

BRIAN
12-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Probably one of the toughest sections of the Bronx. Not sure I would be taking the train there unless I was carrying. I worked all 5 Boro's and can tell you from experience to be careful. The only thing more than criminals are the Hookers.

Good luck!!!

Boatmark
12-23-2009, 08:57 PM
That is what I had heard about the area, and why I am asking about driving. I do not see myself on the train there. In fact if I pursue this I am going to have to factor in the cost of a beater to commute in. No way am I taking my spotless black Avalanche there and watching 2k worth of Enkei's disappear.

Normally I wouldn't even consider all this, but the job really seems challenging, and looks like it would be worth the hassle.

C'mon guys, there have to be more from the area who can give me some input

cees67
12-24-2009, 06:17 AM
westchester is def your best bet ....even in northern westchester you are a max of an hour commute to hunts point. The area roads are bruckner, sheridan, I 95 , I 87 and the adjoining parkways. as everyone else says stay away from the bridges...they suck. As for the area itself Hunts point has been cleaned up a little and i emphasize little....it is the place you hear about when you hear that the bronx is ugly.Mostly theft and drugs. Very industrial ,no mans land

FMG CAMARO
12-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Are you looking for an area to move to? If so buy a home or rent? If you are buying home much do you want to spend on a home. I live in suffolk county and currently commute to brooklyn. My commute is about 40 miles door to door. When I commute at the hours you specified it usally take me about 45 minutes. You can definitely go further north then westchester and and stay under an hour commute. You will get alot more house for your money the further north you go. Dont worry about hunts point. These bad neighborhoods in the city of new york are not what they use to be. The only people getting shot these days are criminals. You should see all of the liberals from all over the country that are now residing in the so callled bad areas of nyc. They walk around at all hours and hardly get bothered. You will be fine especially during business hours. good luck.

HotRodKush
12-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Pretty sure there are no "liberals", or anyone else, for that matter, walking around hunts point other than criminals. I worked in that area for 5 years, up until last winter, and it's only gotten worse. That said, there are areas of the Bronx that are perfectly safe, and quite nice, but from from my experience Hunts Point is not a place you want to take a stroll, at any time of day.

Takid455
12-28-2009, 09:00 PM
not familiar with that particular area, but I used to commute to downtown from NJ. traffic sucks. no way around that. If you can and like to take risk, get a motor scooter or cycle. I typically don't have issues, but i'm no beginner either. there are some nice areas not too far away but cost will be high. you can find decent living quarters w/in 15 miles of GWB in NJ. rent will be 12-1500 mo min though. I can make it to the GWB in 45 min during non rush hour, and figure another .5-.75 to get to where ever once I'm over the bridge.

Lots of young people live in Jersey city, Hoboken, Fort Lee areas. Mass transit (subways) will take you pretty much anywhere.

NJ/NYC driving habits/ characteristics are alot diff than FL. Will be a good learning experience. If you can drive here, your good pretty much anywhere.

Boatmark
12-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. I actually like the idea of Jersey, but it seems like commuting north and not dealing with the bridges would be less hassle.

I've done the motorcycle thing in the past, but I hate to admit that I've gotten to an age where full combat traffic on a bike is not for me.

I know NYC traffic is full combat, but I grew up driving in down town Miami with the Cubans, and lived in D.C. for five years . . . I'm full contact driving qualified. :-)

toxicz28
01-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Head north. Depending how much you're willing to commute, and if you're looking to own vs. rent. Putnam, or even Dutchess county. The further north, the cheaper housing and property taxes are. What costs $5,000 a year for property taxes in Dutchess, would cost $13,000 and up in Putnam and northern Westchester.

joejaze
01-02-2010, 06:19 AM
If your work hours are 11am-8pm I wouldn't worry about traffic. The bulk of your traffic problems will be accidents, if and when they occur.

If you have the money look in White Plains, Valhalla, and Armonk for housing.

megaladon6
01-03-2010, 07:17 AM
you can also look into western CT around the merrit parkway and I-84. i'm in ridgefield CT now, and the bronx is about 1:15 average. i've actually made it to MSG (manhattan) in about 1hr.