PDA

View Full Version : Speaker in Kick Panel?

third base
04-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Any body know what size speaker I can fit in a 69' camaro coupe kick panel without having to do any type of fiberglass fabrication? I just want to cut the hole and mount the speaker.Thanks-

boodlefoof
04-15-2005, 11:46 AM
I fit a 5 & 1/2'' JBL in my '68 Camaro's kick panels. I think the mounting depth was something like 4''.

Sorry to say I've eliminated my stereo from the car though. Can't go check for you.

third base
04-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Why did you elminate the stereo? How did the JBL's sound?

boodlefoof
04-16-2005, 06:35 AM
They sounded pretty good, but with a pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear deck, it was actually kind of hard to hear them... your feet tend to block the sound a bit (and I didn't have much in the way of sound deadening).

I eliminated the stereo simply because the sound of the exhaust is music enough to my ears. :headbang: And, I wanted to drop some weight...

restified original
04-16-2005, 01:28 PM
the kick panel location is not optimum for sound dispersal, but, it IS there, other than on a/c cars which have some kind of a 'scoop' there...clearance is rather shallow, and the first thing you'll hit is the protruding lower door hinge bolts...i have cut them off to gain mounting clearance...door mounting may be a better bet, though still going to be a low mount; either way, you're cutting holes in the stock interior...

any other suggestions, including placing speakers in a convertible...?

digitalman2112
04-17-2005, 05:15 AM
I bought a 68 firebird convertible that has speakers IN the rear seat - Its uncomfortable for a large person in the rear seat, because they made the boxes too deep, and out of wood. If I ever redo it, I'll go with more shallow speakers, and do a curved fiberglass enclosure.

One downside - it makes the rear seat impossible to remove by yourself - very heavy and awkward - but its better than having no speakers :)