PDA

View Full Version : multiple front speakers

rb70383
12-17-2009, 06:48 AM
I see some cars have like 2 6.5 in the front door. My question is how are they wired? Can you just run them in parallel? If not are there seperate amps? Then how do you wire 2 amps to the front of a head unit? I am putting 6.5's in my daily driver (Ramcharger) and was thinking of putting 2 set of speakers int he front doors, but run them off the front and rear channels, Which got me to thinking how some of the other systems I see are run.

Modo Innovations
12-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I would imagine that they are ran in parallel. I would run another set in the rear instead of 2 sets up front.

Taman
12-17-2009, 03:45 PM
If you run speakers in parallel they would cut the impedance in half. In series, they add. For example. 4 ohm speakers would be 2 ohms in parallel. In series they would be 8 ohms. Most car amps can drive down to under 2 ohms of impedance. If you run a passive crossover the amp will not see that impedance. It will see the impedance of the crossover. With an active crossover, you would run separate amps for low, mid and high. Check to see how low of impedance your amp will drive. In series, the speakers won't be as loud, but you will be driving your amp at a very safe 8 ohms.

fordsbyjay
01-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I thought one of them was a subwoofer and the other is a speaker.

showtime
01-15-2010, 02:39 PM
In most cases when you see two 6 1/2" in each door, they are ran in parallel to single 2 channel amplifer at a 2-ohm stereo mode. If the amp is a 4-channel, same thing front channels in 2-ohm mode for the fronts and rear channels for the rears. In most car audio systems, rear speakers are designed for rear-fill only and is not the main focus for sound.

Jim

67rstbkt
01-15-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty sure distortion rates increase on most amps with the lower impedence. Check the specs on the amp before you wire in parrallel.