PDA

View Full Version : I need a shade of yellow...

yellowfever494
12-13-2009, 09:48 PM
... that is blinding to look at in the sun.

I've tried test panels in Ford Zinc Yellow and Martin Senour Banana Yellow.. I'm contemplating Vette Velocity yellow, Viper yellow, and orbit orange - but they're too orange-juicy, I think.

I need a no-BS eye-seering yellow, that would make optional stuff like red Wilwood calipers and semi-gloss/gloss black stuff really stand out, but not in an ugly contrasting way... a good contrast.

Any ideas?

73lt4
12-14-2009, 04:29 AM
1976 Corvette brite yellow
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/12/IMG_0591-1.jpg

Payton King
12-14-2009, 07:00 AM
years while I was putting my car together. Everyone that I liked at the car shows were Viper Racing Yellow. Spray it on top of a white base and you will love it.

Yelcamino
12-14-2009, 07:06 AM
I'm partial to the yellow on my Elky, but I can't divulge the mix! :)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Jim Nilsen
12-14-2009, 10:32 AM
my car is 1975 or 78 Covette special bright yellow. It is as close to the brightest yellow in all light as you can get. others will either pale out or go green or orange to the eye. The yellow I have is so close to the direct pigment that is as bright as you can go for yellow.

I tried everything in acrylic enamel and you can get a bit better results with bc/cc. I think Ford does have a yellow that seems to be as bright or maybe brighter because it is bc/cc. the Viper yellow is just a touch on the red side where as the vette color is toward the blue.

Have Fun

protour73
12-14-2009, 11:30 AM
... that is blinding to look at in the sun.

I've tried test panels in Ford Zinc Yellow and Martin Senour Banana Yellow.. I'm contemplating Vette Velocity yellow, Viper yellow, and orbit orange - but they're too orange-juicy, I think.

I need a no-BS eye-seering yellow, that would make optional stuff like red Wilwood calipers and semi-gloss/gloss black stuff really stand out, but not in an ugly contrasting way... a good contrast.

Any ideas?2001 Dodge Viper Yellow is a lot of things, but orange-juicy it is not :machine:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/11/SouthPics003-1.jpg

Jim Nilsen
12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
The one thing you have to do is make sure you have a white base when doing yellow or it will take more paint.

You have to really pic yellow side by side in the sun light to know what you are getting because the lighting can make that much difference.

Taman
12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
PPG makes an awesome yellow in their wet and wild paint line.

amargari
12-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Here is Millenium Yellow off of the C5 Corvettes

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/12/Front2JPG-1.jpg

asifnyc
12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
+1 for Millenium Yellow. I have a 2003 MY z06. great yellow... I also have a '73 Javelin AMX that is a "ford utility yellow" late '80s, early '90s that I like :)

I love yellow cars (obviously) but it needs to be YELLOW. as soon as you get too much white in it it looks terrible...

Jim Nilsen
12-18-2009, 05:22 PM
+1 for Millenium Yellow. I have a 2003 MY z06. great yellow... I also have a '73 Javelin AMX that is a "ford utility yellow" late '80s, early '90s that I like :)

I love yellow cars (obviously) but it needs to be YELLOW. as soon as you get too much white in it it looks terrible...

I call it pale yellow, as soon as you start to make it lighter/brighter it gets weak to me too.

The millenium yellow has some red in it and the viper yellow has less.
Adding a touch of green makes it go to the blue side a touch easier and a drop or 2 of black brings it back from going pale.

Yellow is very touchy to just a drop of color to change it.

I painted my S15 Lemon Ice yellow and it is brighter in certain light, it almost screams at you but in direct sunlight it starts to go pale.

Good luck choosing.

yellowfever494
12-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your input - I like everything I've saw, actually. I think I'm going to have to do a panel-by-panel spray-a-thon until I find something. Isn't it frustrating when you can see it in your head but you just cant put it to paper... or metal? haha

Vegas69
12-26-2009, 10:02 PM
years while I was putting my car together. Everyone that I liked at the car shows were Viper Racing Yellow. Spray it on top of a white base and you will love it.
We need some pics my brother.....

Jim Nilsen
12-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks everyone for your input - I like everything I've saw, actually. I think I'm going to have to do a panel-by-panel spray-a-thon until I find something. Isn't it frustrating when you can see it in your head but you just cant put it to paper... or metal? haha

It took me over 26 different shades of yellow to end up right back at the Corvette bright yellow for me. Side by side it is the brightest in all light.

the problem is that yellow changes so fast with the light that you like it in one light and not the other.

Adding a bit of metalic will make it pale a little so if you start darker and then add it you may get an effect that you like but touch up will be harder if you plan to track it and keep it nice.

BigMal69
12-13-2014, 05:54 PM
I just painted my 69 Camaro Velocity Yellow from the 2014 Vette. I absolutely love the color

JustJohn
12-15-2014, 07:05 AM
My Victory is a metallic silver base coat under yellow: