PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium Wheel Widdening?

Ratty 46
12-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Hello All,

I've got a set of '72 factory Pantera wheels ...... 7" for the front & 8" for the rear .... both 15's.

I know I'm limited to tire sizes BUT I'd like to get the most out of the wheels so ...... anyone know if anyone can widden the rears to 10"??

Any help will be appreciated.

I already know the pitfall of the 15's & magnesium so thanks in advance for not telling me about that.

Ratty 46

mc84_zz4
12-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I kept this link, although it says aluminum, if they do not handle magnesium, they probably could recommend somebody. (?) HTH

http://www.ericvaughnmachine.com/Services.html

David Pozzi
12-06-2009, 10:22 PM
The typical way to widen wheels is to use a piece cut from a donor wheel. All the added width would be to one side with this method. This reduces the welding to just one weld instead of two if you used a band insert.

I would call Phil Schmidt at PS Engineering and ask him what could be done. He makes vintage race car wheels, I don't think he reworks Mag wheels but might recommend someone. I have seen mag wheels reworked like this at the vintage races. Mag is more prone to cracking, so control of temperature during welding is more important.
David

John Wright
12-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Mag is more prone to cracking, so control of temperature during welding is more important.
David
Boy, Dave hit that nail on the head.....I've heard of people bringing in parts to be repaired with one crack in them and then after 7 or 8 repairs they are never so eager to see a part leave the shop. Many times before you can even even get the blanket wrapped around the part you will hear several pings.

Ratty 46
12-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys ...... appreciate the info.

Seeing that these wheels are NOT a dime a dozen & the fact that they are in above average shape I might float them off on egay or some wintage race sight.

I might be taken to much of a chance to ruin a good set of wheels.

Ratty 46