PDA

View Full Version : Anybody swap a direct injected engine in anything?

GoldHawg
12-06-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm interested in maybe swapping a direct injected ecotec in a old roadster. But not sure how complicated the swap would be; read somewhere of interaction between the fuel tank pump which produces the normal efi fuel pressure and the engine mounted pump which produces the serious DI pressures. Not sure how this would go in a swap. Anybody know of anyone doing a DI swap?

Hammered
12-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I've been contemplating the same. GM did a rat rod called E85 I believe. There is a stalled Chevette project on this forum that was using an Ecotec. From what I've gathered, the biggest problem is that if you use a factory computer, the engine may not run without certain non-engine safety devices etc... and I'm not sure you can get an aftermarket computer yet.

MonzaRacer
12-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Basicly the system uses a capacitor system to (provided its the turbo DI engine) to ramp up opening current to a 65 volt surge then holds with 12 volts in a Peak and Hold mode of operation, but the system pressure by Alldata is only like 57 to 63 lb or something liek that figure its target is 60 PSI so that wouldnt be hard to deal with, as for making the stock ECM work why is everyone so scared of simply retrofitting the basic emission s stuff, and adapt for the modules not used.
Everyone I see doing things dont want to run tank pressure/Evap cans but heck why not its hard and if you adapt the complete harness and can prove the OOBD II function is still in place and you used proper 3 way cats for lineage of engine, then you have a powerfull and clean update.
Seems so many people are scared of trying to make a car clean and fast.
I remember one guy in a magazine built a Pontiac, and by simply using diverter check valves made the engine pull enough air in to utilize a proper converter system and his car made emission standards for like only a 2 yr old car at the tail pipe.
I have always tuned for power and clean as it usually meant the engine is working more efficient and therefor more power.

Ash
12-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Kudos on the 4 banger. They just look right in roadsters. Not sure if your humoring other 4 cylinder options. If you are, check out http://www.quad4rods.com/ for The GM Quad 4, Ford Duratec, & Ford Zetec. Sidedrafts would give them a classic feel. They have a couple parts for the Ecotec as well.

If you wanna go off the deep-end, use a Mitsubishi 4G63 http://www.projectzerog.com/index.shtml

killer67
01-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Better to go wit ha factory computer for comaptibility